Students surprised to see Cumberbatch entering Marvel universe

Calendula Cheng, Staff Writer

OXFORD – Who would have thought that Benedict Cumberbatch, on-screen detective, dragon, cryptanalyst and much more, would enter the Marvel universe?

Yesterday, Marvel released a teaser trailer for their upcoming movie “Doctor Strange.” As the images rolled, the one assuming the role of earth’s protector from magical threats was revealed to be none other than television’s notorious Sherlock Holmes.

“Is this photoshopped?” said Oxford High sophomore Charli Kendricks. “I was in disbelief.”

Said fellow OHS sophomore Taylor Ross, “I mostly see Cumberbatch acting in mystery genres.”

Benedict Cumberbatch’s first performances took place in 2001 at Regent’s Park Open Air Theatre in Westminster, London, where he acted in Shakespearean productions. His first film appearance was in to “Kill a King” in 2003. Cumberbatch’s recent film and television appearances include the Sherlock series, “The Imitation Game” and “The Hobbit” trilogy.

“I wouldn’t see him to be the first person to be put into a sci-fi movie,” OHS senior Victoria Colbert said.

The character of Doctor Steven Vincent Strange is a former neurosurgeon who gains skills in magic and takes up the title of Sorcerer Supreme. When put next to the cinematic “Avengers” and “Guardians of the Galaxy,”  the Sorcerer Supreme does not get a lot of the spotlight. While it is unknown how closely the movie will follow the comic book plot, introducing Doctor Strange into Marvel cinema will definitely bring him out.

“I don’t really know much about the character Doctor Strange,” Kendricks said, “so as long as the writers write the script in the movie really well, I think it will be fine.”

The next question is how well will television’s Sherlock portray this mystical superhero. Will Cumberbatch live up to Marvel actors like Robert Downey Jr. and Chris Pratt?

Kendricks said she is feeling “reluctant with a little bit of intrigue.

She added, “I think he’ll do fine but it’s also kind of weird.”

Ross said Cumberbatch has been “really good in all of the roles he’s ever played so I think he’ll do fine.”

Although there are many different responses to Cumberbatch’s entrance into Marvel, a lot of things can only be found out once the movie is released. “Doctor Strange” is scheduled to come out in theaters in November.

“It will be interesting,” Colbert said.