OHS soccer teams have successful senior night

Bruce Newman - Oxford Eagle

Freshman Mo O’Connor dribbles the ball.

Grant Daniels, Sports Writer

Senior night is complete for both the Oxford High School boys and girls soccer teams as the boys honored five seniors, Cole Calhoon, Neil Chandler, Sean Brown, Preston Huggins, and senior manager Ezra Holben. The girls honored six seniors: Anna Dennis, Kiara McNair, Michelle Reid, Bailey O’Connor, Addison Meadows, and Dayton Smith.

“Our four senior players and our senior manager are the backbone of this team,” boys soccer head coach Charlie Sabatier said. “Sean and Cole are the defensive foundation of the team. Neil and Preston are creative playmakers with lightning speed, and our senior manager Ezra Holben is always behind the scenes makings are everything runs smoothly.”

Both teams played their senior night games on January 17 where both the teams competed against the Saltillo Tigers. The girls won their game, 8-2, improving their record to 15-0 on the season. A big performer from that game was O’Connor as she totaled six saves for the Lady Chargers. The Lady Chargers will to cap off the regular season undefeated in their final game against West Point.

“It’s been so special to get to spend my senior season with these girls and see their will and determination to accomplish more together as a team,” Dennis said.

The boys also won their game against Saltillo, 7-1. Huggins and Chandler each scored one goal and one assist in the win, Calhoon added an assist to the scoreline. With the victory, the Chargers improved to 14-2 on the season with a 4-1 record at home. The Chargers still have to go to West Point as well to end their regular season.

“It feels great to have such an amazing season in my senior year, but the credit isn’t only ours. It goes to my teammates and the past seniors that have built this program back up from its setback after the end of the unbelievable 2012 season,” Calhoon said.

Both teams will begin their chase for a state championship on Tuesday, January 24 with both teams opening the tournament at Bobby Holcomb Field. The girls will play Center Hill while the boys will take on Lewisburg.

“15-0 is a great record and an undefeated regular season is amazing, but you can tell that these girls aren’t satisfied yet,” Dennis said.

“There is an amazing amount of talent on the team this year and we have been talking about making a run for the state championship since the first team meeting back in June,” Sabatier said.