OHS starts off division play with bang

Jared Redding

OXFORD – In a clash of divisional titans, Oxford High reigned supreme.  A fast start and a couple of key turnovers made the difference.

The Chargers knocked off West Point in convincing style, winning 50-28.  Another thing that was convincing was the Chargers’ passing game, led by Tulane commit Jack Abraham.  

“Jack did a great job of getting the ball to the open guy, where it needed to be, and the line gave us time to throw it,” OHS head coach Johnny Hill said.

Abraham’s stats speak for his performance.  He completed 75 percent of his passes for 421 yards and threw for five touchdowns.

The Charger receivers had their way all night with the Green Wave secondary, averaging 28 yards a catch.  D.K. Metcalf finished with a season high two touchdown catches for 120 yards.  Ken Presley, Jimmy Greaser, and Hiram Wadlington finished with one touchdown catch.  Presley led all receivers with 137 yards.

Even though Drew Bianco finished with only five yards rushing because of a pinched nerve, he also contributed to a scoring spree for Oxford, getting a touchdown on the ground.  

Defensively, the Chargers were led by Jack Turner. Turner finished with 15 tackles.  Korbin Harmon, Quentin Wilfawn, D.Q. Thomas, and Quay Quarles also finished with double-digit tackles.

C.J. Terrell recorded an interception, his third of the season.  Devin Rockette had a defensive touchdown to go along with his eight tackles.

“He (Rockette) should deserve a lot of credit, because they (West Point) scored two scores back to back.  When he got that touchdown, that really got us going,” Presley said about his teammate on the other side of the ball, Rockette.

Extra Points

Turning Point:

The Chargers started out hitting on all cylinders, jumping out to a 22-0 lead in the first quarter.  West Point then woke up offensively and Chris Calvert scored the Green Wave’s first touchdown of the game.  After the Calvert score, West Point kicked an onside kick and recovered.  Calvert then scored again to make the score 22-14.  On a drive to cut the Chargers’ lead to less than three, West Point fumbled, and Rockette recovered the ball and raced to the end zone for six.  That scoop and score deflated the Green Wave momentum and Oxford didn’t look back.

Playmaker:

Most of the time, the offensive line gets no attention.  The Chargers’ offensive line – consisting of Will Swindoll, Tag Gatlin, Colton Skidmore, Quen Bolden, and Stone Threkeld – was one of the main reasons why the Chargers’ air attack was so effective.  They provided Abraham time to throw the ball and make decisions.

Talking Point:

“We’ve always had a rivalry with them (West Point), so it’s always sweet beating them, especially at home.  Beating them in the fashion we did, it really just gives us a lot of confidence going into region play,” Skidmore said.

Extra Points:

• Bad blood was shown late in the game when West Point’s Everett Cunningham unnecessarily targeted Abraham on one of the last plays of the game.  Cunningham was ejected because of a targeting penalty.
  • With this win, Oxford has now won 16 straight division games.
  • Next week, the Chargers travel to Saltillo to take on the Tigers.

• OHS starts off division play with bang

Antifa has good motives, bad execution

Hurricanes hit the Atlantic, students encouraged to donate

LCD Soundsystem’s “American Dream” is unique, hiatus-ending album

Change in Beta club officials bring changes, new goals

Gonzalez sees bright future for Oxford swim

Lowe battles breast cancer, receives student support

New cross country course completed, ready for races

Chargers reclaim Crosstown Classic Trophy

Crosstown Classic Pep Rally

Trump revokes DACA program for worse, rips apart families

OHS starts off division play with bang