Chargers roll past Patriots in Homecoming game

OXFORD – Weather and penalties couldn’t stop Oxford High from creating turnovers and scoring points.

The Chargers made things look easy once again, beating Lewisburg 56-21 on Homecoming night. The Chargers have now won four straight ballgames after starting the season 1-2.

“All in all, I thought the effort was there,” OHS head coach Johnny Hill said. “They didn’t back off, they played hard and played aggressive and that’s all you can ask.”

Said Stan Hill, the offensive coordinator and son of the head coach for the Chargers, “We are executing on a high level right now.”

The Chargers’ stats are clear evidence of their execution.

Jack Abraham continues to show off his accuracy by completing 15 of his 18 passes for 214 yards and getting three touchdowns. The majority of Abraham’s stats all occurred in the first half.

D.K. Metcalf led the Charger receivers with six catches for 76 yards and a touchdown. Ken Presley and Jimmy Greaser combined for six catches for 122 yards and one touchdown between the two of them. Greaser had one of the best plays of the game when he caught a screen pass from Abraham on a third and 17 and raced 47 yards to paydirt.

Josh Patton had a career game at running back. Patton had 12 carries for 112 yards and two touchdowns. Safety Tias Hilliard had snaps on the offensive side of the ball. Hilliard had three carries for 47 yards, 35 of those yards were from a touchdown run.

Every lineman’s dream is to score a touchdown. Center Colton Skidmore’s dream came true when he lined up at full back near the goal line. Skidmore got a carry and plowed his way for a 1-yard score.

Defensively, the Chargers were led by Jack Turner who finished with 11 tackles, followed by Korbin Harmon who finished with eight.

The Chargers forced four turnovers in which three of them were interceptions. The first interception was from Tias Hilliard, who caught a tipped pass from Lewisburg quarterback Jake Harville and returned the ball 52 yards the other way. Safety D.Q. Thomas picked off Harville and raced 58 yards for a pick six. The last interception came from C.J. Terrell in the end zone.

Terrell had a fumble recovery to go along with the interception he had.

Extra Points

Turning Point:

Similar to last week against Saltillo High, the Chargers started the game by stealing a possession with an onside kick. The Chargers recovered and nothing was going to stop them from that point on.

Playmaker:

Replacing a 1,782-yard rusher in Kenzie Phillips is hard, but it is possible. Last week, Hiram Wadlington made an impact at the running back position. This week, it was Josh Patton’s turn to show off what he can do. Patton averaged 9.3 yards a carry to go along with his two touchdowns.

Talking Point:

“We just knew that we had to execute and make plays, and that’s what we did.” – OHS safety D.Q. Thomas.

Notes:
*With this win, the Chargers have now won 18 straight district games.

• Oxford High had 18 penalties for 140 yards.

• Next up for the Chargers is a road game against the New Hope High Trojans.