OHS football conquers Trojans on road

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++FILE%0AThe+Chargers+offense+has+rattled+off+50%2C+50%2C+56+and+46+points+in+its+four+division+games+so+far+this+season.
FILE The Chargers’ offense has rattled off 50, 50, 56 and 46 points in its four division games so far this season.

FILE
The Chargers’ offense has rattled off 50, 50, 56 and 46 points in its four division games so far this season.

COLUMBUS – A lethal passing attack and a physical defense was too much for New Hope High to overcome. The Chargers hit on all cylinders.

Oxford High pounded New Hope 46-12 to remain perfect in district play. The Chargers scored all 46 points in the first half and they might have scored more had there not been a running clock the entire second half.

“We were coming in to put up points and put up 90 on them,” senior quarterback Jack Abraham said.

A pair of Chargers had career games, but the most remarkable one came from Abraham.

Abraham completed 22 of his 30 passes for 354 yards and a school-record seven touchdown passes. Abraham also eclipsed the 100-career touchdown mark with his fifth touchdown pass of the night to Ken Presley.

“He’s a phenomenal kid,” OHS head coach Johnny Hill said about his senior quarterback. “He’s a great person, but he’s a very good quarterback.”

Presley also had a career-high game with four receptions, 107 yards and three touchdown catches. His best play of the night was when Abraham threw to him deep and he came up with the catch. Presley then broke away from a New Hope defender, putting the defender on the ground before making his way to the end zone for a 75-yard touchdown catch.

“I was supposed to take it outside a little bit more,” Presley said about the 75-yard touchdown pass. “And when I caught myself back up, the guy (the New Hope defender) was on top of me. So I just kind of stiff-armed him and made my way to the end zone.”

It was not just Presley who was making plays at receiver.

D.K. Metcalf had six catches for 94 yards and two touchdowns, including a 50-yard touchdown early in the second quarter. Zach Cousar and Jimmy Greaser combined for eight catches and 131 yards. Greaser had a touchdown grab early in the first quarter. Hiram Wadlington also received a touchdown.

The Charger running game was not used much this game, but Wadlington led Oxford High with five carries for 45 yards. Wadlington averaged nine yards a carry.

Jack Turner and Jacquez Neilson led the Chargers with eight tackles, each of them had two tackles for a loss.

The Chargers played well against a decent group of Trojan receivers.

“We have people in the secondary that can play different positions. So I think that was a big factor in this game,” defensive back Devin Rockette said.

The Chargers forced four turnovers overall. The Chargers recovered three fumbles and Tias Hilliard came up with an interception in the fourth quarter.

Extra Points

Turning Point:

The Chargers once again jumped out to an early 20-0 lead, but the Trojans didn’t roll over. New Hope quarterback Thomas Stevens ran for a 5-yard touchdown to cut the Chargers’ lead to 13 points. The Trojans then kicked an onside kick and recovered. The Trojans were driving to make the score a one-possession game, but a fumble stopped them in their tracks. The Chargers scored 26 unanswered points after the fumble.

Playmaker:

Presley gave the Trojans’ secondary fits. Presley averaged 27 yards a catch to go with his three touchdown catches.

Talking Point:

“We’re right where we need to be and our kids have bought into what we are trying to do,” Hill said.

Notes:

• With this win, the Chargers have now won 19 straight division games.

• The game clock never stopped running in the second half.

• The Chargers host the Clarksdale Wildcats next week.