Reading fair receives renewed interest

Different school year, same reading fair. Or was it?

Within the walls of the OHS library, The reading fair went on as usual on Nov. 30.

However, the event that has been a familiar event to most students since elementary school, had more sizzle to it in 2015.

Thanks to extra credit and project options from English teachers this year, the reading fair was a big success.

“We had a lot of entries this year,” Librarian Lynndy Hurdle said. “It was an option for everyone.

“However, certain teachers offered extra credit for doing the reading fair. I know Ms. (Amanda) Witt and Ms. (Katherine) Brown gave that option, and Ms. (Sommer) Husbands’ classes did a reading project where they chose horror, science fiction or fantasy books. She gave them three options to do a project about their book, and the reading fair was one of those options.”

Students and teachers can see the benefits of having the reading fair as well.

“Our librarian Mrs. Hurdle does a fantastic job with the OHS Reading Fair,” Husbands said. “I certainly believe the reading fair is a worthy pursuit.

“The process one must complete to compete in the reading fair requires students to truly engage in the reading process. When students practice reading, analyzing, and engaging with multiple texts, they become better readers, thinkers and learners.”

“I liked the reading fair because it allowed students to be creative and encouraged reading,” sophomore Annie Forgette said.

The winners have since been announced. For First Place in Fiction, Savannah Hesidence won with “Stung” by Bethany Wiggins. For Second Place in Fiction, Sarah Boothe won with “Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children” by Ransom Riggs.

For Third Place in Fiction, Raina Woolworth won with “Throne of Glass” by Sarah J. Mass. For Group Fiction, First Place goes to the only contenders in the category: Lillian Mitchell and Margaret Pepper Adams with “Carrie” by Stephen King.

In Nonfiction, First Place went to Davaeon Barron with “The French Revolution” by Don Nardo.