OHS celebrates National BETA Club week

OHS celebrates National BETA Club week

Evelyn Smith, Staff Writer

From Wednesday through Friday, the Oxford High School BETA club will have celebrated National BETA Club Week.

Over these past days, a trifold poster was placed in the OHS Commons to advertise OHS BETA, sponsored by English teacher, Katie Bridges. BETA Club members were stationed near and around the poster in order to provide additional information for any students interested in joining the academic club.

“I had a student come up to me at the BETA table wanting to learn more information,” said freshman BETA member Maggie Livingston. “She said she had the grades to join, so we’re looking forward to providing her information so that she can become a member.”

Started at OHS in the fall of the 2014-15 school year, the BETA Club works actively to promote community service and academics. Predominantly underclassmen, but open to all high school students, BETA club requires 10 hours of community service per semester and a 3.5 GPA for all its members.

“BETA club plays a big part in community service,” said OHS freshman Molly Archer. “I enjoy BETA Club because it is a good way to give back to others and to the community.”

National BETA Club promotes the ideals of academic achievement, character, service, and leadership among elementary and secondary school students.  BETA works to recognize and honor academic achievement, prepare young people for life and empower them to be successful, develop the leaders of tomorrow, and demonstrate their motto: Let Us Lead by Serving Others.

The National Organization of BETA Club has helped nearly 7 million students promote professional lives for themselves, and since 1991, it has awarded more than $5 million in scholarships. BETA Club is now the nation’s largest independent, non-profit, educational youth organization.

Although new to OHS, OHS BETA has had much success at OHS Homecoming, BETA State Convention, and local charities, including More Than a Meal and the Oxford-Lafayette Humane Society.  BETA meets almost every Tuesday morning in Room A-211 of Oxford High.  If you are interested in joining please contact sponsor Katie Bridges, president Ansley Byars, or vice president Evelyn Smith.

“Being able to give back through community service gives me a good feeling,” Livingston said, “and the meetings are fun to attend.”