College fair proves successful

Back to Article
Back to Article

College fair proves successful

Eric Maddigan, Staff Writer

Over 60 school representatives from 43 different schools all around the United States descended upon the OHS gymnasium on Tuesday to talk to students about colleges.

According to Assistant Principal Paul Ross, this college fair was the largest school-based college fair in Mississippi, and that this year’s fair is double the size of last year’s fair.

Colleges that were represented included in-state schools close to home, including the University of Mississippi and Mississippi State, and some schools far away, including Saint Louis University in Missouri and Dartmouth College in New Hampshire.

Juniors and seniors were allowed to leave their classrooms for an hour to talk to the college representatives and gain information about each school.

Senior Anna Takerer, who has already been accepted to Mississippi State, said, “It was good to get more knowledge about my school.” “It was good to have in-state colleges,” Takerer continued. “Being an SEC state, that means you’re going to get more southeastern colleges. I liked to see the options, the recruiters to meet face to face, and to get more information.”

However, not all students thought the college fair was without flaws.

Senior Eli Moen said that the college fair “didn’t really add any colleges to my list.” and “it won’t make a big difference in applying to schools.” Moen continued, saying that the fair was “really southeastern centralized.”

“Getting some more schools further away from Mississippi would be a good idea for some students,” Moen said. “I thought the college fair was alright.”

Assistant Principal Paul Ross is very proud of the college fair. “It’s been a fantastic event for the kids,” Ross said. He continued, saying that the fair provided students “exposure to the universities.”

Ross said that the fair was “running great,” and that it “could not have gone any better.” This college fair was the school’s second annual fair. He also expressed hope for future college fairs.

“Kids really seem to be enjoying it,” Ross said. “Hopefully it gets bigger and better every year.”

Eric Maddigan, Staff Writer

Eric is a senior at OHS. One of his favorite extracurriculars is speech and debate. His favorite place to go in Oxford is Square Books, and his favorite...

Cailyn Brock, Staff Writer

Cailyn is a sophomore at Oxford High. The interest in journalism has always existed for her. If she's not in Oxford, she is traveling with her friends...

• College fair proves successful

New show ‘Shrill’ relatable, coming-of-age tale

• College fair proves successful

Teacher Feature of the Month: Q&A with Keith Scruggs

• College fair proves successful

Media handles tragedies unprofessionally, often glorifying attacker

• College fair proves successful

OHS Unified Sports team vs. Oxford Police Department basketball game ends in tie

• College fair proves successful

Mock trial team achieves goal, scores fourth place at state competition

• College fair proves successful

O’Connor faces adversity, finds success in soccer

• College fair proves successful

13 OHS seniors named National Merit Finalists

• College fair proves successful

Nash selected as finalist for National Tennis Coach of the Year

• College fair proves successful

Charger Crossword Puzzle Answers

• College fair proves successful

Browns make right decision with Hunt, deserves second chance

College fair proves successful