Middle schooler’s prank leads to lockdown, apprehension

Davis McCool, Editor-In-Chief

Yet another threat made on the Oxford School District sent three schools into lockdown late into Monday’s school day.

According to Director of Personnel Col. Douglas Cromwell, a credible threat was made on Oxford Middle School, and a suspect has been apprehended on Middle School grounds.

Around 3:15, high school students at the middle school for athletics were forced into the athletic facility’s locker rooms and into lockdown position. According to eyewitnesses in the facility, three Oxford Police Department officers came into the building wielding weapons and vests.

Though it was not immediately clear if the suspect was a current student, a teacher at Oxford Middle School confirmed that a student was taken into custody directly outside the school building.

The teacher, who can not be named at this time, also mentioned that the student placed a call to Hunter’s Hollow, posing as a parent, and claimed that there was a threat to the middle school. The call was traced to school grounds, and the student was captured soon after, ending the lockdown at all schools.

Statement from the Oxford Police Department:

At approximately 3 p.m. Monday a local business received a phone call and the caller told the employee that “his son had a gun and was going to the school to shoot it up.” The business immediately called the Sheriff’s Office. Not knowing which school the caller was referring to the Sheriff’s Office contacted OPD. Investigators called the business to gather further information. The business was able to provide the phone number associated with the call. Investigators called the number and spoke with the caller. It was determined at that time the call was a prank. Officers made contact with the caller and determined that the caller did not have any weapons. The caller was on school property at the time of the call. The case is ongoing and more details will be released later this week.

This is a developing story.