Winter brings plethora of Powerhouse events

Carter Diggs, Entertainment Editor

In the wake of the phenomenally successful showing of “Rocky Horror Picture Show,” the Yoknapatawpha Arts Council (YAC) has prepared many more events for students and families to enjoy.  As the weather grows colder and the holidays draw nearer, several seasonal activities have been established.

For those who need to catch up on their Christmas shopping, two upcoming events might help find a unique gift for friends and loved ones. On Dec. 2 through Dec. 4, the Powerhouse will host a Holiday Art Market.  At the market, unique gifts and crafts will be sold by over a dozen local vendors and artists.

“You can find things like postcards, handpainted images of downtown, and handmade products like soaps,” Wayne Andrews, director of the Yoknapatawpha Arts Council, said.  “It’s a great opportunity to get people involved.”

Many people, however, might be searching for something specific, like a Christmas ornament.  Along with a Holiday Party, the Holiday Ornament Auction will be hosted on Dec. 8.  Specialized Christmas ornaments will be on exhibit and auctioned off to the highest bidder. Guests will also get to enjoy festivities set on by the YAC.  Members of the Arts Council will get free admission to the event.

“I’m always excited for this,” Andrews said, the auction being one of his favorite events, “you never know what the artists will make.”

Two theatre productions will be put on for the holidays.  Oxford Acting Studios plans to select and maybe write their own production.  The course is student driven and seeks to teach teenagers about all the inner workings of a theater production.

“What I like about Oxford Acting Studio is it lets people see all the parts of it (theater),” Andrews said.

Theatre Oxford will be putting on a classic production for the holidays.  “The Mousetrap,” the world’s longest running play, is about a group of strangers stranded in a boarding house in the middle of a snowstorm.  Things quickly go from bad to worse as a body is discovered and it becomes clear that not everyone in the house has good intentions.  The production will show on Dec. 1 through Dec. 3.

In January, the Arts Council plans to head a new festival entitled “Pop Up Oxford” on Jan. 22 to last through Jan. 28.  Instead of being locked down to just the Powerhouse or the Square, various events will be open all around Oxford, including artist demonstrations, historic tours of the town, and a progressive food and drink tasting.  The festival promises visitors that they will get to “experience everything Oxford” in a week.

“We have a kick off for the art crawl where you get to ride the Double Decker bus and get to go to all the art museums, onto the university, onto the Square,” Andrews noted.

For more updates and future events, Andrews recommends following the YAC on social media at @YACoxfordarts.

“We’re here for everyone,” Andrews said, “the door is open, and we try to make unique things happen.”