OHS football players sign National Letter of Intent

Senior D.Q. Thomas signs his National Letter of Intent to play football for MTSU next season.

Jared Redding

Jared Redding

Jared Redding, Sports Editor

OHS head football coach Chris Cutcliffe didn’t shy away from starting off the OHS National Signing Day ceremony sharing the great accomplishments of his senior football players.

On February 1, nine OHS football players signed their National Letter of Intent to go play football for their respective colleges. This is the most football players to sign in one year in the school’s history.

“I’m very proud of these guys and the entire class, even the ones that aren’t moving on to play college football, played a big part in the success of these nine,” Cutcliffe said about his senior class. “Most of all, I’m proud of what they stand for off the field and in the classroom and the type of young men they are in addition to their success on the field.”

Indeed, the Chargers have good accomplishments on their résumé: A 33-10 combined record, seven playoff wins, and three North State championships.

Six of the nine players will continue their football careers at junior colleges.

“Our Mississippi JUCO league is the best in the country,” Cutcliffe said. “The talent level out there is outstanding and those guys are going to play with and against great football players every week. So its a really big challenge, but they also know because of that level of competition, if you can be successful there, you’re going to have a great opportunity to be on that when your time there is up.”

Three players along the defensive line signed with junior colleges.

Kent Hickinbottm signed his NLI with Pearl River Community College. Hickinbottm finished the season with 40 tackles, four TFLs, and two sacks. Hickinbottm is joined at PRCC by his teammate Jerry Quiller, who finished with 24 tackles, four TFLs, and three sacks. Hickinbottm and Quiller will reunite with former defensive line coach Terrance Metcalf. Hard nose defensive tackle Nick Sisk signed with Holmes Community College. Sisk, a three year starter, ended the season with 62 tackles, 12.5 TFLs, and three sacks.

Two members of the Chargers’ offensive line will sign JUCO also. Center Colton Skidmore and left tackle Ashton Stewart with continue to play alongside each other at Northwest Mississippi Community College. Skidmore started every single game since his freshman year, 59 games. Stewart has started for the last two seasons, he played offensive guard during his junior season before moving to left tackle his senior year because of a key vacancy in that area of the field. Both of them will be coached again by their former offensive coordinator Stan Hill, son of former Oxford head coach Johnny Hill.

Three players signed with four years universities. Among them, right tackle Kolby Leary inked with Millsaps College, Leary’s first college offer.

“I went a couple of times down there and visited with all the coaches an everyone,” Leary said. “I love all the guys down there and it just seemed like the right fit compared to the other places I looked at.”

Defensive back Devin Rockette made it official, signing with the University of South Alabama after an official visit last weekend.

“I just felt more comfortable there,” Rockette said. “They (SA coaches) really spoke to me about playing as a freshman, that was another factor.

In only his second season playing defensive back last season, Rockette finished his career (as a defensive back) with 99 total tackles, and three interceptions

Safety D.Q Thomas will join former Charger teammate Darius Liggins by signing with Middle Tennessee State University. Thomas, another three year starter, compiled 280 tackles, nine interceptions, and four total defensive touchdowns.

• OHS football players sign National Letter of Intent

Yearbook staff hosts signing party for students receiving books

Senior Field Day

OHS seniors mark the next chapter of their lives with senior signing day

Good Food for Oxford Schools hosts third annual Iron Chef competition

Clayton defying odds, will be first-generation college student on full ride

Rock signs with UWA, puts injury behind him

OHS student prepares for gender transition, life in Mississippi

Hobson, Calhoon sign national letter of intent

Table tennis club hosts tournament, welcomes all students

Field Experiences class partners with University of Mississippi for Big Event