OHS Football ready for tough 2017 schedule

Back to Article
Back to Article

Junior wide receiver Jaquan Webb snags the football over a Center Hill defender. Webb will once again start at wide receiver in 2017.

Cailyn Brock

Cailyn Brock

Cailyn Brock

Grace Logan, Contributing Writer

The Oxford Charger football team recently released their schedule for 2017 season. The 2017 campaign will be Oxford’s first as a part of Mississippi’s highest classification, 6A.

The Chargers will open the season with two games on the road at Vicksburg and Starkville before returning home September 1 to play against Grenada. Head coach Chris Cutcliffe says he’s excited to play on the road early.

“It prepares you for big playoff games down the road,” Cutcliffe said.

The 2017 class of seniors had nine players sign to go play football the next level, that is the most in school history. The current junior class is expected to continue the success of the class before them.

“The junior class is another group that has a lot of talent players,” Cutcliffe said, “They contributed a lot to varsity. I’m excited to see those guys step into the role of seniors.”

Junior outside linebacker Jamar James said he is excited about moving up to 6A and having such high standards for his senior season.
“There will be a challenge every week in 6A,” James said. “Its a lot of responsibility and expectations for the season.”

James missed a few games last season due to a shoulder injury. This injury not only affected his playing time and stats, but also college recruitment. For this upcoming season, James has already made a list of goals to achieve before the 2017 season to hopefully get him a shot at playing college football.

“I want to compete with my best friend in the tackling record,” James said. “That’s a little short term goal, but I mostly want to be a better leader.”

After going 8-5 and losing in second round of playoffs, freshman tight end J.J. Pegues was pleased with how the team did last season.

“It was a great season,” Pegues said. “Even though we came short, we did not give up at the end.”

Pegues was moved up to varsity as a freshman and recently was offered a football scholarship to the University of Mississippi. He too is ready to embrace the challenge of building off last season.

“I am ready to beat our crosstown rival and by the end of the season win a big ring,” Pegues said.

Cutcliffe, in his second season, is also ready for the challenges that 6A brings.

“I’m excited about moving up to 6A and the challenges it imposes,” Cutcliffe said, “We’ve been preparing for that moment for a while.”

The Chargers will open the season on August 18 in the 2017 Red Carpet Bowl against Vicksburg.

“It’s going to be a fight,” James said.

2017 Football Schedule:

August 18: @Vicksburg (Red Carpet Bowl)

August 25: @Starkville

September 1: Grenada

September 8: @ Lafayette

September 22: @Southaven

September 29: @South Panola

October 6: Desoto Central

October 13: @ Horn Lake

October 20: @ Columbus

October 27: Hernando

November 3: @ Tupelo

Grace Logan, Sports Editor

Grace is a junior at OHS and sports editor. This is her second year on staff and first year in an editor position. She loves to travel and aspires to live...

Cailyn Brock, Staff Writer

Cailyn is a sophomore at Oxford High. The interest in journalism has always existed for her. If she's not in Oxford, she is traveling with her friends...

• OHS Football ready for tough 2017 schedule

OHS Unified Sports team vs. Oxford Police Department basketball game ends in tie

Mock trial team achieves goal, scores fourth place at state competition

O’Connor faces adversity, finds success in soccer

13 OHS seniors named National Merit Finalists

Nash selected as finalist for National Tennis Coach of the Year

Charger Crossword Puzzle Answers

Browns make right decision with Hunt, deserves second chance

Forget your phone, drivers should be focused on road

Teacher Feature of the Month: Q&A with Logan Dodson

‘Glass’ combines well-written story, cast