Weave’s “Wide Open” is not too weird for comfort, complete success

William Carrington, Staff Writer

Weaves’ first album, 2016’s “Weaves,” was pretty perfect. Their odd first project was centered around the band’s eccentric voice, that of Jasmyne Burke. Surrounded by the bassist Zack Bines and drummer Spencer Cole’s unique and transformative grooves, their first release did little wrong, introducing the world to their unique sound.

On “Wide Open,” released on Oct. 6, the tracks are yet again centered around Burke’s unique voice. On this album, however, she has learned to be more honest, writing songs that shock the reader with their intimacy and openness. Compared to “Weaves,” the lyrics on “Wide Open” tend to carry more meaning; while generally being more interesting, they manage to keep their cleverness and simultaneously stay away from cliches.

Since they first started making music, the band has been interested in pushing their limits. Since their first album, it’s been clear that they aren’t satisfied with fitting into someone else’s genre. Their odd style of music is one that is hard to find anywhere else, and they’re the best at it. For what it is, “Wide Open” couldn’t have been any better.

One of my favorite examples of Weave’s transformation from their first album is the last song on “Wide Open,” “Puddle.” It begins as a an unplugged rock ballad which, even though it’s pretty, seems boring compared to the rest of the album. About a minute into the song, though, the song turns into the kind of thing we’d expect from Weaves; guitarist Morgan Waters seems to realize that his amp has been turned off this whole time and starts playing as loud as he reasonably can without ruining the song. This song’s lyrics are the most reflective on the album, and as far as its message, this song acts as a metaphor for the band’s change—promising their listeners that they have more to give.

Following up an album like “Weaves” was not easy. Many other bands that have fit into the same quirky space have proved themselves to be one-hit wonders, or in the case of bands such as tUnE-yArDs, too weird for the masses. With “Wide Open,” however, Weaves seems to ignore any pressure on them and show nothing but improvement from their incredible breakout album. They haven’t stopped pushing the limits of what they can do with their music, and songs like “Scream” remind the listener that they don’t plan to fade into obscurity any time soon. As a whole, “Wide Open” was incredible, leaving me wanting to hear more from Weaves.

• Weave’s “Wide Open” is not too weird for comfort, complete success

Blackkklansman focuses on race, sign of times

Trippie Redd impresses with diverse debut album “Life’s a Trip”

Mississippi-born rap duo Rae Sremmurd releases standout triple-disk album “Sremmlife 3”

Rapper J. Cole tackles controversial subjects, impresses with surprise album “KOD”

2018 Spring Movies

Indie pop band The Wombats lack progression in sound with new release, “Beautiful People Will Ruin Your Life”

Eight artists to watch in 2018

Rapper Rich Brian bound for success with new release, “Amen”

Rap group Brockhampton’s “SATURATION III” is progressive, impressive

2018 is promising year for Peckham artist Cosmo Pyke