Calhoon breaks season scoring record

Grace Logan

Senior Keaton Calhoon goes for the ball during the team’s game against Lafayette. He broke the season scoring record which was previously 26 goals during the game against Tupelo.

Grace Logan, Staff Writer

Oxford soccer player and senior Keaton Calhoon broke the season record for most goals scored by a single player during the Jan. 9 game against Tupelo High School.

“Going into the game versus Tupelo, the only real feeling I felt was belief that we were going to go in strong and come out on top,” Calhoon said.

While the team lost 3-2, Calhoon managed to break the record previously set at 26 goals. Calhoon did not expect to break the record during his high school career, but he knew once he was close to the amount that it was something that must be done.

“After breaking the scoring record, I was absolutely elated and so proud of how hard I’ve worked and how hard the team has worked to hit this benchmark,” Calhoon said.

With this goal accomplished, Calhoon is now second in the state in goals scored by a single player and Oxford High leads the state in overall goals.

“I think myself as well as the team were hit with a boost of belief and confidence that we are capable of achieving great things and that a repeat state title is something we very well can and will do,” Calhoon said.

From a coach’s standpoint, head coach Charles Sabatier was proud to see his player achieve this record.

“[Calhoon] is an extremely hard worker. He leads the team in almost every drill or exercise we do at practice and is very vocal on the field,” Sabatier said. “Any team that we play is very aware of his presence on the field, and that allows him to be a threat in many ways.”

According to fellow teammate and sophomore Stone Tosh, Calhoon has been there for his team in times of need.

“If anyone can get us [a win] Keaton can,” Tosh said. “Keaton is a funny teammate that everyone likes to be around. He cares about the game a lot.”

Since this season is the last for Calhoon, the record made his senior year a memorable one.

“Breaking the scoring record is important to me because now I’ve made my permanent impression on the Charger soccer program and our team will be remembered as a record breaking team,” Calhoon said.