Oxford golf uses record breaking second round to win state championship

Grant Daniels

The Oxford golf team and coaches pose for a picture after winning the 2018 6A Golf state championship. The Chargers took the trophy, winning by 14 strokes.

Grant Daniels, Sports Editor

The Oxford Charger golf team came away victorious in the 6A state championship at Lake Caroline Golf Club in Madison, Miss. on Wednesday and Thursday. Over the two days, Oxford compiled a school-record score of 585 (+9), beating second-place Northwest Rankin by 14 strokes who shot 599 (+23).

Juniors C.J. Easley, Wilson Baker, Mark McManus, and Cole Hubbell alongside freshman Taylor Durham were the five golfers that made the trip to Lake Caroline for the Chargers.

After scoring 296 (+8) on Wednesday, the Chargers came back out Thursday and scored a single-day school record score of 289 (+1).

“We came out Thursday with the mindset to win,” McManus said. “We played the best golf we’ve played all season in the final round.”

Easley and Baker tied for third at even par in the individual performances. Easley shot 73 (+1) on Wednesday and improved on Thursday by shooting 71 (-1). Baker shot 75 (+3) on Wednesday and shot a team best 69 (-3) on Thursday. Baker was pleased with his second round performance.

“I reflected back on my round [Wednesday] that I had played the day before and made some adjustments that would help me improve on my score the following day,” Baker said. “I felt like I managed the course better the second day.”

McManus provided a 75 (+3) and 74 (+2) in the first and second round, respectively, making him five over par for the tournament.

The freshman Durham played a huge part in the Chargers success as he played the two best rounds of golf in his high school career. Before the state championship, Durham had never shot under 80, but at the state championship Durham put together a 73 (+1) and a 75 (+3) over the two days.

“I had a good practice round on Tuesday and really liked the course,” Durham said. “On Wednesday, I got off to a really good start and that helped me get settled in and play well. After the first round, confidence just carried over on Thursday.”

For Easley, this would be his last event as an Oxford Charger as he will be graduating early next year and leaving to be an Auburn Tiger in the spring. After his final hole on Thursday, it was an emotional moment for him.

“All year long I knew it would probably be my last year of Charger golf but it never really sunk in until I was walking up the 18th fairway when I saw everyone gathered around the green waiting for us to come in,” Easley said. “I definitely had mixed emotions walking off the 18th green, seeing the guys that I’d grown so close to the last three years knowing it would be my last time.”