Game Preview: Horn Lake Eagles (7-0) at Oxford Chargers (6-1)

Back to Article
Back to Article

Quarterback John Meagher get tackled by the Horn Lake Eagles' defense during last year's game. The Oxford Chargers won last year’s meeting 21-0.

Courtesy of Cailyn Brock

Courtesy of Cailyn Brock

Courtesy of Cailyn Brock

Walker Bailey, Staff Writer

Oxford and Horn Lake will take the field for a massive Region 1-6A tilt. Oxford stayed undefeated in region play with a 21-17 road win over Desoto Central last week. Horn Lake steamrolled Columbus 47-6. The Chargers won last year’s meeting 21-0.

Players to watch:

Oxford QB John Meagher: Meagher struggled last week throwing four interceptions, but he should have an opportunity to bounce back tonight. Horn Lake is going to be Meagher’s biggest test to date.

Horn Lake LB Nakobe Dean: Dean is ranked as the 16th best player in the country. The five star prospect is the anchor of the Horn Lake defense and is the top rated inside linebacker in the country (247). Oxford’s offensive line will have their hands full trying to block Dean tonight.

Oxford WR DeDe Pegues: Pegues is going to have opportunities to move the ball in the passing game tonight. Pegues has 267 receiving yards and three touchdowns on the season.

Horn Lake QB Raydarious Jones: Jones has thrown for 810 yards on the season, but he has also run for a team high 506 yards. Jones presents multiple different challenges for the Oxford defense. Oxford will have to be sound in assignment football tonight with the option style offense that Horn Lake runs.

Oxford LB Dude Person: Person is now the leading tackler for Oxford on the year. Horn Lake’s offense will present a new challenge for the Oxford defense, and Person figures to be right in the middle of the action tonight.

Horn Lake RB Patrick Gilliam: Gilliam is the starting running back in this Horn Lake offense. He has run for 413 yards on the season, and figures to see a lot of carries tonight.

X Factor: 

Oxford Linebackers: The Oxford linebackers will have their toughest test of the year tonight. Horn Lake’s offense involves a lot of motion and options for people to carry the ball. Assignment football will be key in tonight’s contest.

Prediction:

Tonight is going to determine a lot in the playoff seeding at the end of the season, so this is a huge game for both teams. Horn Lake hasn’t even been tested yet this season, and I think they will be tested tonight, but that Horn Lake ultimately prevails. Horn Lake wins 31-21.

Walker Bailey, Staff Writer

Walker is a senior and is in his second year on The Charger staff. Walker also enjoys watching sports, playing sports, and is also currently a writer and...

• Game Preview: Horn Lake Eagles (7-0) at Oxford Chargers (6-1)

XXXTENTACION’s first posthumous album ‘Skins’ is a mysterious roller coaster experience

OHS holds its Annual Veteran’s Day ceremony

Game Preview: Madison Central Jaguars (8-3) at Oxford Chargers (9-2)

Compassion Club promotes postive atmosphere, helps community

New generation of voters expect to impact outcome of upcoming Senate race

Game Preview: Tupelo Golden Wave (7-3) at Oxford Chargers (8-2)

Oxford Swim places third at state swim meet

Tory Lanez exceeds wildest expectations with fantastic new album ‘Love Me Now’

Game Preview: Oxford Chargers (7-2) at Hernando Tigers (3-6)

Game Preview: Columbus Falcons (0-8) at Oxford Chargers (6-2)