Robinson named OHS, OSD Teacher of the Year

Grace Logan

Superintendent Brian Harvey, OHS Biology teacher Sarah Robinson, OHS Principal Noah Hamilton, Cory Franks, and David Brevard, the CEO of B and B Concrete, smile with Robinson’s awards. Robinson was awarded OHS and OSD Teacher of the Year at a new luncheon held by Oxford community members and donors on Jan. 24.

Grace Logan, Sports Editor

Oxford School District announced OHS and OSD Teacher of the Year as OHS Biology teacher Sarah Robinson at the new luncheon held by Oxford community members and donors.

“I am very humbled to be nominated by my OHS colleagues for this award,” Robinson said. “I am honored to serve alongside an extraordinary group of educators. I could write a long list of teachers at OHS more deserving of this distinction. I count it a blessing to be part of such an incredible team.”

The luncheon was held at the Inn at Ole Miss and has been funded by Drs. Harry and Christine Rayburn, Renasant Bank and several private businesses for the next 10 years.

“Teacher of the Year has always had value but this certainly elevates that value,” Superintendent Brian Harvey said. “Thanks to Harry and Christine Rayburn for spearheading this and what it means moving forward and having them behind us. It is something that is sustainable and we are looking forward to continuing.”

Every school in the Oxford School District elects a Teacher of the Year who then is in the running for District Teacher of the Year. New this year was the check the recipients received that were sponsored by local businesses. These businesses include ICM, Specialty Orthopedic Group, Eley Guild Hardy Architects, B and B Concrete Company, mTrade, Mayo Mallette Law Firm and Reid Sherman investment group.

“I was touched by the support shown by our school district leaders, the Oxford School District Foundation, the Board of Trustees, the Chamber of Commerce, the OHS orchestra and many generous community members and sponsors,” Robinson said. “I especially appreciated the opportunity to share this experience with my parents and husband.”

Robinson, an OSD employee since 2013, received the top title of District Teacher of the Year and will continue to compete for Mississippi Teacher of the Year.

“I think one of the strengths with all of these teachers, and especially Mrs. Robinson, is the relationships that she has with students and that is really where we have to start because without a relationship, the rest really isn’t going to happen as well,” Harvey said. “I think that is the special thing about Mrs. Robinson.”

The luncheon was the first annual to honor the teachers and is expected to continue for years to come. This is the first event like this for the teachers as the Oxford School District itself cannot use district money to honors its teachers.

“The award ceremony and luncheon genuinely made me feel special,” Robinson said. “It reminded me that my role in the classroom matters, and encouraged me to strive to be a better teacher every day. I am grateful to the community for their support, and I hope to live up to the title ‘Teacher of the Year.’”