Game Preview: Brandon Bulldogs (0-0) at Oxford Chargers (0-0)

The Charger defense lines up during a play at the jamboree game against Horn Lake on Friday, August 20.

Owen Collins, Staff Writer

The Oxford Chargers hosted a jamboree this past Friday, August 20 against the Horn Lake Eagles. The Chargers are coming off of a state championship loss against the Oak Grove Warriors last season, finishing 12-1. Last year, the Chargers defeated Horn Lake 50-26. The Chargers will host the Brandon Bulldogs on Friday, August 27.

Players to watch:

Oxford QB Michael Harvey: Senior and captain of the Oxford Chargers. Harvey played 12 games last year with a total of 1461 passing yards and an average of 121.8 passing yards per game. Harvey threw for 16 TDs in the 20-21 season. Harvey’s mentality makes him an eye-catching player to watch this Friday.

Brandon LB Blake Smith: Standing at 6’3” and 205 lbs, Smith is a senior for the Brandon Bulldogs. Last season, Smith had 30 solo tackles and 79 total tackles. He averaged 11.3 tackles per game. Smith is definitely a player to watch this game.

Oxford MLB Keegan Wilfawn: Senior and captain of the Oxford Chargers. Wilfawn, 5’11” and 220 lbs, shows his hard work on the field. Wilfawn had a solid 2020-21 season with 76 solo tackles and 104 total tackles. Wilfawn averaged 8.7 tackles per game. #10 is one to keep an eye on during this game.

Brandon RB Nate Blount: 5’10” and 225 lbs sophomore for the Brandon Bulldogs. As a freshman, Blount had 79 carries for 260 total rushing yards, and an average of 3.5 rushing yards. Blount is seen to be a powerhouse in the backfield for the Bulldogs, and for this matchup against the Chargers, Blount will be a player to watch.

X Factor: 

Oxford’s Offensive Line: While losing seniors due to graduation, the Chargers have brought in new additions to the trenches. Brandon’s defense is very unusual and hasn’t been seen in a while. They have the potential to shut down the wide zone, especially with Smith leading them. Oxford’s line will be the X Factor for this game as new players have stepped up into starting roles in the offensive line position.

Prediction: 

With talk of the Brandon Bulldogs being dominant, and the Oxford Chargers being introduced to a new region, Friday will be a close game. The Chargers’ coaching and play-calling will adjust to anything that the Bulldogs have up their sleeve. 27-14, Chargers.