Game Preview: (4-2) Clinton Arrows at (3-3) Oxford Chargers

Ross A Shows, Podcast Producer and Sports Writer

Last week’s MVP: LB Alex Sanford (18 total tackles, 17 solo tackles, 1 tackle for loss, and 1 forced fumble)

The Chargers are back at Bobby Holcomb for their homecoming matchup against the Clinton Arrows. The Chargers are coming off two straight losses, dropping their first loss at home since the 2018 season. The Arrows, on the other hand, head into the game on a three-game win streak. Last week, they defeated the defending 6A state champion, Madison Central Jaguars, 38-31. In the last matchup between these two teams, the Chargers lost at Clinton by a score of 23-6. 

Players to Watch:

Oxford Senior DB Ryan Kirkwood: After missing the last three weeks, Kirkwood returns to a Charger secondary that has struggled without him. Through the first three games, Kirkwood led the team in interceptions racking in two, and also had an impressive 19 tackles. As the focal point of the Charger’s defensive back group, Kirkwood’s return will be key for the Chargers to get back into the win column.

Clinton Senior RB Jakobe Calvin: Calvin is heading into his second season as the Clinton Arrows leading rusher. Halfway through the 2022 campaign, Calvin leads the team in both touchdowns and rushing yards, with 719 rushing yards and 13 touchdowns. He is the leader of a run-heavy Clinton offensive unit that can beat you with multiple guys in the ground game, behind an impressive offensive line.

Oxford Freshman QB Mitchell Grandjean: I expect Grandjean to be making his first career varsity start tonight for the Chargers. Grandjean is a dual-threat quarterback who can break outside of the pocket and make a lot of plays with his feet. With it being his first time stepping onto the field at the varsity level, nobody knows what to expect. If Grandjean can keep control of the football, play calmly, and get the ball out to his playmakers the Chargers could surprise some people tonight. 

Clinton Senior Quinton Whitehead: Whitehead, the leader of the Arrow defense, has been an offense’s nightmare. He is the leading tackler for the arrows with 37 total tackles and also leads the team in interceptions with two. With a young and inexperienced quarterback taking snaps for the Chargers, Whitehead should take advantage and force the Chargers to turn the ball over.

X-Factor:

Oxford Offensive Line: As I mentioned before the Jamboree, the Charger offensive line was going to be the X-factor the entire season. With that being said, anybody who has watched the Chargers the past two weeks has seen the troubles the offensive line has faced. An offense revolves around the offensive line and when the offensive line is not playing well, more than likely neither is the team. In the past two weeks, this Chargers group has struggled more than ever. It has been difficult for Mack Howard to have any time to throw the ball in the pocket, and Roman has hardly ever been able to find a hole in the defense. Whether Coach Chris Cutcliffe and his staff make adjustments or not, the entire offensive line will have to play better if the Chargers want to continue to push for a playoff spot. 

Prediction:

Both of these teams couldn’t be in more different positions thus far. The Chargers head in struggling and trying to snap a two-game losing streak, while Clinton tries to keep their win streak going and make it four in a row. I expect the Chargers to throw out a completely different look and hopefully catch the Arrows off guard. I look forward to watching this game, and I feel something crazy is about to go down on Bobby. Chargers, 23-19.