Oxford fall sports season recaps

Aidan Patel, sports editor

Volleyball

Oxford High School’s Lady Chargers wrapped up their campaign with a 30-10 record. The team ended the season with a third round loss in the MHSAA Class 6A playoffs to Madison Central 3-1 (25-19, 26-24, 19-25, 25-21).

The highlight of the year was another dominant start, opening the season undefeated at 13-0. They were also invited to the Nike Tournament of Champions held in Tampa, Florida and finished their stint with a record of 2-4 against the top teams in Florida.

The Lady Chargers had two seniors sign to play volleyball at the next level. Outsider hitter Bree Lyons signed with Itawamba Community College and middle hitter Torrey Tkach signed with Southern Miss. Tkach is the first volleyball player from Oxford to sign with a Division I university since 1999.

Head coach Ashley Martin earned her first state all-star game selection. She will represent the North half at the 2023 M.A.C. All-Star Game.

Swim

Twelve OHS swimmers traveled to Tupelo to compete in the MHSAA Swimming State Championship at the Tupelo Aquatic Center.

Some of the main highlights of the meet were the records broken by swimmers and the runner-up result by the boys team, the highest finish in program history. The Chargers finished with 76 points while Madison Central placed first with 116 points. 

William Berry, Jacob Tulchinsky, Landon Schock, and Booby Jubera set a school record with a time of 1:41.74 and placed first in the 200-yard medley relay. Tulchinsky also set another school record just a few races later in the 50-yard freestyle finishing with a time of 22.03.

The girls team pulled off a top three finish of their own, placing behind Madison Central and Tupelo. Sophomore Brooke Sipes was the top finisher for the Chargers, earning second place and setting a school record in the 100-yard breaststroke 1:09.45.

Boys XC

This year on Nov. 9 at Mississippi College Choctaw Trails in Clinton, Mississippi, the OHS boys cross country team rebounded this year by placing as one of the top teams at the state meet.

The boys team won the championship in 2021 after previously winning in 2016. Although the team didn’t win state this year, they proved to be a top team in the state.

The top finishers were sophomore Bailey Kosko with a time of 16:36.64 in ninth place, eighth grader Toshan Delong with a time of 18:00.66 in thirty-sixth place, and senior Charlie Ligon with a time of 18:06.80 in thirty-eighth place.

Girls XC

On the same day as the boys cross country meet at Mississippi College Choctaw Trails in Clinton, Mississippi, the OHS girls cross country team also competed and placed fourteenth.

The top finishers were freshman Maggie Irwin with a time of 21:02.70 in sixteenth place, junior Isabella Monteleone with a time of 24:29.72 in in seventy-second place, and junior Payton Tulchinsky with a time of 24:34.53 in seventy-fourth place.

The last time the girls won the state championship was in the year of 2016. Since then, they had numerous accounts of winning the meet every season.