Freshman Adam Tyson brings bright future for OHS basketball team

Anderson Shows, staff writer

New freshman transfer Adam Tyson is bringing success to the Oxford High School basketball team. Standing at six foot seven inches, Tyson has brought more height to the team that hasn’t been reached in a long time. In Tyson’s most recent game versus the Lafayette Commodores, he had 15 points, 12 rebounds, and two dunks becomes Oxford’s second highest scorer in the game.

“Adam is able to help us stretch the floor out and also help us get rebounds because of his size,” Junior DJ Davis said. “He can get the ball out, start the break, finish the break, help us press, and he’s able to do a lot of big things for us.”

Although Tyson is only a freshman, he has already received an offer to play basketball at the University of Mississippi after high school in 2026.

“He has received a lot of early attention with the Ole Miss offer, and he’s very humble. He doesn’t act like he is the best player and he also doesn’t push people away,” OHS Boys Basketball coach Drew Tyler said. “At the same time, I think he is still hungry even though he has an SEC offer, he tries to get better everyday and he knows that more offers will come his way. We have had talks about how we don’t just want offers because he’s young and tall but because he is a good player, so I think he’s going about it the right way.”

This is Tyson’s first year at Oxford after transferring from crosstown rival Lafayette High School this school year. Despite only being at Oxford for a short period of time, he has already created a bond with his fellow teammates.

“Coming to Oxford, we all get along very well and the guys are really cool. I’ve gotten close with all of them even in this short period of time,” Tyson said. “Like me, DJ also came to Oxford from Lafayette, so I had already known him and we were pretty cool and always kept in touch.”

As the season comes to a close with playoffs right around the corner, Tyson has been a huge impact on the team’s success.

“Adam has been a really good help so far this season. We’ve always needed that bigger guy on our team the past years to help get rebounds and take shots at the rim, and I feel like Adam has filled that role this year,” junior Miles Luber said.

Tyson has played basketball many years before coming to Oxford and played against some of the best basketball players in the nation in his age group.

“He’s played enough basketball against some of the top talent in the nation allowing him to handle himself in pressure situations if it’s overtime, crunch time, or even free throws. It helps him understand what me and Coach Reed want out of him for our team to help us win,” Tyler said.

Tyson has already enjoyed himself at Oxford this school year despite this being his first year not at Lafayette.

“I feel like at Lafayette, the plays were more strict and it just didn’t really fit my style as a player. At Oxford, it’s more free and you get to do what you can do to help the team as best as possible,” Tyson said.