OHS Golf Team hires new head coach

After serving as the OHS Speech & Debate coach for the past two years, Ryne Bankston has begun his new role as coach of the Oxford boy’s and girl’s Golf Teams.

Bankston is excited to get to coach kids out on the course and share his wealth of knowledge of the sport with his athletes.

“I was considered amongst a number of other candidates and then thankfully offered the job,” Bankston said. “I found out in the middle to end of June, when I got back from a speech and debate tournament in Phoenix. I’m obviously very excited and I also like to think that the kids are in general, really excited.”

Bankston stresses the importance holds in being the best coach he can be.

“I just perceive myself differently,” Bankston said. “I want so badly to be some sort of like X’s and O’s genius. Like if it were football, I’d want to figure out some sort of offensive scheme that’s never been run before and completely confuses people and completely dominates because of it.”

With all of the recent success of the OHS Golf Teams in the past, Bankston is expecting the same successful result for his teams this season.

“I would expect a district and or regional championship,” Bankston said. “I would also hope one of these boys or girls would go on and compete at state like Oxford always does.”

After many seasons of Mississippi High School golf being played in the spring, this season in the state of Mississippi golf will be played in the fall. Senior Captain Landon Atkinson explains how he is excited about this change.

“I think it’s really good in terms of times we can practice because a lot of months in the spring it rains a lot,” Atkinson said. “We also are getting a lot of new players from the baseball team that can play in the fall but not the winter.”

One junior on the team, Sydney Scruggs, is ecstatic about the new golf season.

“You know, I think that we are definitely going to improve as a team this year considering we have a great new coach,” Scruggs said.