Olivia Rodrigo spills her “GUTS” in her latest album

Olivia Rodrigo’s long-awaited album “GUTS” has finally come out. This is her second album along with her very popular album “SOUR”. The album contains 12 songs which were released on Sept. 8, 2023, along with two singles. The first single and the third song on the album were released on June 30, 2023. The other single “bad idea right?” which was released on Aug. 11, 2023. The new album “GUTS” has received nothing but positive feedback and reactions from fans, but personally, I think it is a bit overhyped. I find the album catchy but I just expected more from “GUTS”. 

Rodrigo’s new album is unique in the way that she never talks about how stressful fame is and social media, instead, she focuses on the typical struggles of a teenage girl. “GUTS” is a very clever album with meanings specific to each song. The overall vibe of the album is more aligned with “vampire” rather than “bad idea right?”

One of the more stand-out songs is “ballad of a homeschool girl” which has a more stand-up tempo. A bitter song “get him back!” reveals Rodrigo’s anger towards a man who wronged her. My favorite song from the album has got to be “pretty isn’t pretty” because I feel that it can relate to today’s teen graphics and, I think lots of girls can relate to the song.

Rodrigo has been able to develop her writing skills from a now, older perspective, making her songs more enjoyable and relatable. “GUTS” has topics from, a bad news boyfriend, to having a negative self-image. In “logical,” “the grudge,” and “teenage dream” Rodrigo shares her emotional feelings and thoughts about her life. Many of the songs talk of a young woman getting manipulated and humiliated by an older man. The songs show Rodrigo’s rage, grief, and insecurities. Rodrigo feels manipulated and responsible for a man’s actions. 

“GUTS” in my opinion met expectations but didn’t exceed them. I feel like “SOUR” was a better album because it was more on-trend, and something I would rather listen to. “GUTS” is a whole different demographic from “SOUR;” the album almost sounds harsh. But, I think that some of the songs are very catchy and relatable for girls. It is a genuinely honest album that shows reality rather than talking about fame. 

This has been a highly anticipated album and has been received well and has gotten lots of feedback and opinions. I like the album overall but, I just feel it isn’t one I would listen to all the time. Rodrigo has come a long way when it comes to writing style and lyric meaning. This album sets a whole new vibe for Rodrigo and her future songs.