Cross Country reaches for successful finish this season

The OHS cross country team is back but this time, they have moved to 7A and have already ran in three events so far this year. Senior Captain Jackson Doss is back for his 2nd year running for the varsity team and has a hopeful outlook for the rest of the season

“I feel pretty good about the rest of the season. Our top runner Bailey Kosko has already broken records through our first three meets. We also have a really fast freshman class with lots of potential going forward,” Doss said

The team has already competed in three meets this season, the annual Brooks Memphis Twilight XC Classic. This event took place in Memphis on Sept. 2. Junior Bailey Kosko placed 13th out of 470 runners at the meet.

“Going into the race I didn’t really know what to expect. I felt like I have prepared harder than I ever have before and was in great condition. At race time I felt great and was very happy with my finishing time,” Kosko said

While Kosko individually shined, both the boys and girls teams were not stellar. But a bright spot was Sophomore runner Maggie Irwin. She finished with a time of 21:56.66.

“Before the twilight meet, Friday night the whole cross country team had a pasta party to carb load and celebrate the official start to the season,” Irwin said. “Saturday I tried to stay calm all day by watching movies, going on walks, and thinking about all of the hard work we did this summer. Though my time wasn’t my best, I’m eager to build off of this race as the season progresses. It was a great way to begin the season alongside my team, and I am very excited for the season to continue.”

Before transitioning to 7A, the girls and boys teams were both successful in the lower class of 6A. Head coach of the cross country team Chris Patton has a hopeful outlook on the season and feels that the team will be more successful at the end of the year than they were last season.

“Right now we are just getting our groove and learning the best ways for us to race, rest, and stay healthy. Everyone had a good start to the season so I look forward to us peaking and running fast at the right time,”  Patton said

With the season just underway Patton spoke on what preparation for meets looks like for his team.

“ We heavily load the workouts/mileage early in the week and by Thursday and Friday we are scaling back some so that we have our race legs ready. We also make sure we are hydrating during the week,”  Patton said

With 6 meets remaining, senior captain Payton Tuchinsky challenges the team to focus on working hard to finish the season strong.

“This season I am really working to keep a positive team atmosphere and continue the amazing friendships and bonds that we have together as a team. We are working hard and pushing ourselves in practices and meets, but also making sure that everyone is having fun and keeping it light,” Tulchinsky said.