Game Preview: (4-3) Oxford Chargers @ (1-6) Southaven Chargers

Recap

On Oct. 6, the Oxford Chargers began district play with their game against the Horn Lake Eagles. The game started out slow for the Chargers as they were unable to find their way onto the scoreboard, trailing 7-0 at the half. Following halftime, Oxford began to run up the scoreboard on the Eagles scoring 28 points and won the game 28-14 improving their record to three wins and three losses.

Last Friday, the Chargers played their second district game of the year against the Desoto Central Jaguars. The first quarter started out slow for both teams but the Jaguars stayed ahead 6-3. Going into the second quarter, Oxford was finally able to find the endzone and score 10 points to end the half leading 13-6. At the start of the second half, the score continued to go back and forth, with both teams scoring 17 points. Before the game ended, the Chargers were able to run away with the game, winning 44-20.

Game: Oxford @ Southaven

Tomorrow evening, the Chargers will travel to Southaven High School to play in their third district game of the season. If they win tomorrow, the Chargers will secure a spot in round 1 of the MHSAA 7A playoffs. Last Friday, Southaven got their sixth loss of the season losing 7-0 to the Lewisburg Patriots. The Southaven Chargers only have one win this season against the Desoto Central Jaguars.

Oxford player to watch

Senior WR Xavier Lewis: In the past two games, Lewis has scored four receiving touchdowns and has over 200 total yards this season. In order to run up the scoreboard, the players’ passing game needs to be the best it can be. Since WRs Levi Blount and Dane Harmon just returned from injury, I expect the receiving yards to be split up between all receivers, however, Lewis should have many explosive plays that will drastically change the outcome of the game.

Prediction

I think like almost all other games this season, the beginning of the game will start out low scoring for both teams, but Southaven will lead at the half. Then in the second half, the Chargers will explode and dominate the game scoring touchdown after touchdown. Chargers win 45-17.