OHS moves from “B” to “A” school

Oxford High School improved in its rating this school year from a “B” school to an “A” school. These ratings are determined by the Mississippi Department of Education. In order to earn an “A” rating, a school must receive certain scores on a variety of tests taken by students in the district. The high school has had the most growth in Math, English, and College and Career Readiness. Some students feel that being rated as an “A” school will motivate others to continue working hard.

“I think this rating will push students and faculty to continue to work hard to maintain this high standard,” senior Chase Grafton said.

The ratings are determined using scores from a variety of tests. The high school’s scores have improved from last year, which has made the rating go up.

“The assessment scores included in the scoring are state assessments, ACT, ACT WorkKeys, AP assessments, industry certifications, and dual enrollment,” Superintendent Bradley Roberson said.

As a whole, the Oxford School District has maintained its “A” rating for several years now. On the most recent report card, Oxford School District showed growth in not only core subjects, but also in advanced course
participation.

“We have prioritized and aligned standards in all grades,” Roberson said. “We have also revamped our professional learning community model to provide teachers with the opportunity to learn from one another.”

Oxford School District instituted a scorecard process in all schools and departments to provide focus on what’s most important in their schools. A part of the scorecard process is identifying and testing actions that improve student learning.

“Returning to a more structured environment from COVID has definitely helped us as a school,” OHS teacher Nicole McGarrity said. “Our administrative team has also played a big part in improving the learning climate here at OHS.”

The district saw a decrease in attendance shortly after the COVID-19 pandemic; however, the most recent report card shows improvement with attendance, especially in the high school.

“The best way to ensure the Oxford School District is an “A” district is to provide our students in all Oxford School District schools a quality education that aligns with the Mississippi state standards,” Roberson said.