Football makes history with making 7A playoffs

The Oxford Chargers have clinched the 7A playoffs with a win over Southaven on Oct. 20. Despite the losses of key players at key positions coming into this year, the Chargers have made the playoffs regardless.

Coming fresh off of a win against Lewisburg on the road, Head Coach Chris Cutcliffe gives us his view on how the season has gone so far for the Chargers.

“I believe we have done an excellent job of improving over the course of the season,” Cutcliffe said. “We have had a lot of young players in big roles and they’ve matured and developed throughout the year.”

The Chargers have one remaining game against the Hernando Tigers. Hernando is the senior night for all OHS football, dance, cheer, and band members. Coach Cutcliffe has high expectations for the team to finish out the season strong moving into playoffs.

“Our goal is to play our best when it matters the most,” Cutcliffe said. “My expectation is that we continue to improve and that our best football is still in front of us.”

Even though the Chargers have clinched the playoffs, they look to retrieve a high seeding in the playoffs with the remaining games still left to play. Sophomore quarterback Mitchell Grandjean spoke on how he feels the importance of high seeding is and how much easier it makes the path to a championship possible.

“High seeding in the playoffs is important because it allows the team to play the fourth seed in the first round if you secure the first seed. Not only that but it also allows you to play on your own turf,” Grandjean said

Senior defensive lineman Jabari White reflects on how the defense has looked so far this season and his hopes for the playoffs ahead.

“I feel like the defense has looked great so far. We have connected over these couple of months and got on the same level with each other. If something goes wrong we are always there to pick each other up,” White said

White also touched on his expectations for the playoffs for the defense and the team as a whole.

“Our goal is to go to north half and beyond. One of the things that has gone well for the defense so far is our ability to pick up the offense after a bad possession. We need this to continue to happen in the playoffs if we want to win games and continue further towards the ultimate goal,” White said