National Honor Society chapter begins new community service projects

The Oxford High School National  Honor Society (NHS) is being revived  this year with new community ser 

ice and tutoring projects throughout  Oxford. The class of 2024 is working  to expand the NHS this year and get the  whole community involved.  

The National Honor Society is a  group of students recommended by  teachers and invited in the spring of  their junior year to find community  service opportunities and ways to  give back. 

“It is a group or community for  those overachieving with a high GPA,  and sort of getting all of those minds  together to help better serve their  community and school,” NHS histo 

rian Clayton Windham said.  

Oxford High School’s NHS president Navaneeth Srinath and NHS vice  president Graham Sherman are working together to find new ways the  group can help bring the community  together. Their focus is projects outside of school. 

“The president and vice president are working towards community  service in the community, and then  the secretary and treasurer are working with community service in our  school,” Srinath said. 

The society is focusing on tutoring as their form of service. They are  

using this as a way to bring the community up.  

“The biggest thing we are working on right now is ‘Chargers Helping Chargers,’’ NHS secretary Sneha  Majumdar said. “We are trying to  get peer tutoring started, not only in  high school, but also in elementary  school.” 

In order to do this, members are  working with multiple organizations.  Sherman is partnering with More  than a Meal for students in the elementary schools. Members of the  NHS help with this on Tuesdays every  week from 5 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.. 

“We go to the Stone Center and  help fifth graders with flashcards and  stuff they might need,” Majumdar  said.  

Other ways members are tutoring  are helping with Freshman Football  Tutoring on Tuesdays and Thursdays  from 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. and using  a form to match tutors with students  based on their availability and sub 

jects. 

“What I do is match up what  times people can do with what subjects people are willing to do, and  then I send out a text to both groups,”  Majumdar said. 

The NHS is also trying to create  more community service opportunities. They are planning one large  project a semester, doing more with  Love Packs, hosting donation drives  

for Thanksgiving and Christmas, and  utilizing their new Student Ambassadors Program.  

“What we have been doing with  student ambassadors is trying to create events to get new kids involved,”  Majumdar said. “They can all come  and meet new kids or people who  have already been attending the high  school to give them friends or people  to go to the football games with and  stuff like that.” 

Additionally, for the 2023-2024  school year, NHS is reinstating the  Charger Award. This award is for people who have the qualities of an NHS  member but are not in the club because they did not meet the requirements.  

“It used to be an award that teachers would nominate students who  were not in the NHS to acknowledge  them for their academic achievements, and they would be inducted as  honorary members,” Sherman said.  

The group members are finding  ways to stay involved individually as  well. Many are running other service centered clubs, such as Soles4Souls  and Go Green. This fosters a great  deal of collaboration between those  organizations.  

“A lot of our members are doing  their own community service, and  then they’re adding on to the NHS as a  whole,” Srinath said. 

This NHS chapter wants their  

members to show leadership, character, and service. The 2024 members are working to exemplify these qualities and spread them throughout Oxford. 

“NHS strives to instill these characteristics in their members and project them onto their community,”Sherman said. 

This specific group of students ishopping to grow the organization and have a larger impact than students in past years.  

“We could do more with NHS,”Windham said. “I really want to encourage other people to get more involved.”