Theatre ends semester with ‘Rumors’

At the tail end of the  2023 fall semester, the Oxford High School Theatre  chose to perform the play  “Rumors’’ by Neil Simon.  The plot of the play revolves  around an anniversary party gone wrong, as guests  scramble to put a story together to explain the suspicious events of the night in  order to avoid trouble and  scandal. The play took place  in the black box theatre on  Dec. 14, 15, and 16, but the  ten-person cast rehearsed from October until the first show. 

Ann Hunter Bigham, a  junior at OHS, played the  role of Chris Gorman, wife  of Ken Gorman. She spoke  about the differences between rehearsing versus  performing in front of a full  audience. 

“In rehearsal, there  was no one to laugh at the  show so it always kind of felt  flat,” Bigham said. “However, during actual performance time, the energy was  through the roof because of  the laughter we were receiving from the audience.”

The story of “Rumors” revolves around a group of  friends trying to keep the  secret of a disappeared wife,  Myra Brock, and cover up  the injury of husband, Charlie Brock, by a bullet wound  during the couples ten year anniversary party. The play  was set in New York circa  1989. While this may initially appear to be another  Sherlock Holmes story, the  play is actually rather comical. The audience watches as characters scramble  across the set in an attempt  to hide the disaster from  guests who continue to arrive. 

“My favorite part about  the play is the script itself,”  Rob Norman, who played  Ken Gorman, said. “I think  that the play is very well  written and funny. It made  it very enjoyable to try and  act out the script to the best  of our ability.” 

Clayton Windham, senior at OHS, played Ernie  Cusack, a psychologist,  during his debut in OHS  Theatre. He recalled the obstacles and challenges that  the cast and crew had to  work to overcome in order  to perform “Rumors” without fault. 

“My favorite experience  was when it all came together and the show would flow  seamlessly,” Windham said.  “It was hard to make that  happen since we could only  work on parts of the show  at a time, and I personally struggled to project my  voice in such a big room.” 

The cast also grew very  close during rehearsals, late  nights, shows, and dinners.  The cast only consisted of  a mere 10 students: Ann Hunter Bigham, Rob Nor man, Taylor Bradley, Kanalu Avery, Clayton Windham, Avery Sams, Zaiden Aquino, Julia Bryan, Sam Hueur, and Renad Radwan. The play was directed by OHS teacher John Davenport, and also had a crew of students who worked hard together behind the scenes. While the cast was relatively small, they were able to put on an entertaining show that lasted roughly one and a half hours, and was sold out two nights in a row. 

“My favorite experience was solidifying relationships with my fellow cast and crew,” Norman said. “Since it was such a small cast it was easy to make individual relationships with people.” 

This was the last show of the 2023 fall semester, but for some students it was their first time ever stepping on stage. 

“Honestly, it was intimidating,” Windham said.“I had never been a part of theater before, but I wanted to try acting and be in a play with my friends. My only regret is not trying it sooner.” 

“Despite the play’s challenges, I enjoyed the experience,” Bigham said. “I loved getting to step outside of my comfort zone and little bit of comedy. And, of course, I also loved all of the people who were involved.”