Boys basketball finishes second in district

Adam Tyson, sophomore, runs down the court after a basket.

The 2023-2024 Oxford High School basketball team is reaching regional play and hopes to make it to the state championship. The Chargers season they recently ended, with the team finishing second in the district. The Chargers played integral games against Lewisburg both at home and at Lewisburg. Both games kept close scores and the Chargers won 72-59 at home.

As the Chargers progressed in district play, they had to come up with different strategies on the court, which they soon found to be very beneficial. 

“I feel like if we go out and play hard we will be looking at a state championship going forward,” DJ Davis, passing guard for the Chargers, said.

The players keep a close connection which also helps on the court. The players view each other as more than just teammates, and see each other as friends, if not family.

“Overall we are a pretty good team and I feel like the basketball team will be a family on and off the court,” Davis said.

The team now has a 14-10 record with Davis hot on the court with a recent blowout holding 30 points. 

Coach Drew Tyler is the head basketball coach for the Chargers. The Chargers were hit with difficulties to finish out the season. “We are reaching what we call our third season with regionals right around the corner, when you take in a long basketball season before Christmas and after Christmas take into account ice/snow games being canceled, a lot of variables came into this season,” Tyler said.

Coach Tyler and his senior-loaded team have been connected for a long time. Some of the basketball players have been on Oxford’s team since middle school.

“With our senior-based team mixed with some young talent, realistically we feel like we belong in the playoffs. We need to be in the Jackson Collasim and hopefully the finals.”