OHS produces first adaptation of “Shadow of the Son”

To start off the 2024 spring semester, the OHS Theatre put on a new play, Shadow of the Son. The plot of the play revolves around Artemis, the Greek goddess of the moon and wilderness. Artemis is shown in the play struggling against unfortunate family ties, falling in love, and learning to cope with grief.

Senior Sam Lewis played Orion, one of Artemis’ love interests who was tragically killed after Apollo tricked Artemis into shooting Orion with her bow and arrow. Lewis has been an active member of OHS Theatre in the past, in productions such as “CATS,” “War Paint,” and “You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown.” He spoke about the special dynamic of this plays’ cast.

“I think this cast is especially close since we’re the first group to ever stage this show,” Lewis said. “There were a lot of doubts, and moments where we were concerned about the possible outcome, but sharing in those thoughts helped us all to become closer friends.”

Senior Everhett Van Every was cast as Apollo, the Greek god of the sun and Artemis’ fraternal twin. Van Every has been involved in the OHS theater throughout highschool in productions such as “CATS,” “Clue,” and “Rumors,” and was happy to be cast in such a large role that allowed him to push himself as an actor on stage.

“I was pretty excited to be cast as Apollo,” Van Every said. “I was able to go full out with my emotions on stage, since my character grew pretty upset during some scenes. I loved getting to do that since my previous roles don’t give me room for that.”

The play was written by playwright and artist Kate Leslie, an OHS alumni who graduated in 2003, and this was the first ever adaptation of “Shadow of the Son.” In 2021, Leslie’s play, “Shadow of the Son,” was a finalist for the David Marc Cohen National Playwriting Award. Since the play has never been performed before, many of the actors struggled with understanding their characters.

“The hardest obstacle I had with this play was not having any kind of reference for my character,” Lewis said. “It was just difficult since it’s the first time the show has ever been staged, and honestly it was scary being the first cast to ever perform this play.”

Junior Alice Dabbs has been involved with the OHS theater throughout her high school career, and landed the lead role of Artemis. She has been involved in other school productions such as “Clue,” “War Paint,” and “You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown.” Dabbs spoke about her preparation for her large role in portraying the Greek goddess.

“I was so excited to play Artemis, and be a part of such a special show,” Dabbs said. “Learning all of my lines was the hardest part for me, and I practiced everyday to make sure I had them memorized.”

The cast for “Shadow of the Son” knew each other and were close friends before the play, something that influenced some of them to try out for it. Many of the actors and crew members were happy to be a part of a school activity that they could enjoy together.

“I chose to try out for “Shadow of the Son” because all of my closest friends were doing it so I thought it would be fun,” Dabbs said. “It’s always fun to be on stage with your friends, and this play was very special to us since some of the cast and crew will be graduating in May.”

“Shadow of the Son” was an rousing success, with all three nights of the show selling a large amount of tickets. Many OHS students who attended expressed their love for this play after seeing it.

“This is definitely one of the best high school productions I’ve seen,” junior Elsie Dossett Bridgers said. “The cast’s acting was incredible, the writing of the script was amazing, and it was just such an immersive and amazing experience.”

“Shadow of the Son” was more than a play to some of the actors and crew that were a part of it. For many, it could potentially be their last high school theatre production. “I hope to do another production before I graduate,” Lewis said. “Theatre has been a big part of my high school career.”