Senior starts ultimate frisbee team

Photo: uwyo.campusnavs.org

A new activity has been brought to OHS in the form of an Ultimate Frisbee Club, headed by senior Benson Wright and ROTC Teacher Sergeant David Leach.

Wright first gained an interest in the activity during his freshman year and has wanted to start the team so that he can play it more and draw others towards the sport.

Sponsoring the class is Sergeant Leach, who enthusiastically complied to Wright’s idea.  He very much bought into bringing ultimate frisbee to the next level- injecting teamwork and strategy into the game.  Building a sense of camaraderie between the players is a big goal for Leach.

“It’s a gentlemen’s game,” Leach added, “the spirit is what it is all about.”

Wright’s vision is for ultimate frisbee to be recognized as a state sport for high schools.  Ultimate Frisbee has risen to become very popular around the world, and has been gaining steam in America.  Many have been campaigning to have it added to the Olympics.

“I think it would be a great milestone,” Wright noted.

Several surrounding schools such as Tupelo High School and Madison Central have founded their own teams.  Ole Miss and several other colleges also have an established ultimate frisbee team.  Wright has said that competitions between the schools may be possible.

Practices will be held on Mondays from 4-5:30 and Wright would like to encourage those who are interested to join.