Students search for service beyond our walls

For some, giving and taking have two different connotations.  For Oxford High School students, Alice McCullen, Evelyn Smith, and Virginia Coleman, the two seem to compliment each other perfectly.

One of the benefits of giving to those in need is taking joy and gratification within oneself.  Keeping this concept in mind, the three girls set out to start a new club at OHS.

What started as an idea to fill shoeboxes for charity, Operation Christmas Child, quickly transpired into a movement to bring people together in commonality.

“I was inspired to start the club when I realized how blessed we are as students at Oxford High School.  I hope to use what we have to give to others, and I wanted to start a club that would benefit our student body emotionally and spiritually,” said club president Alice McCullen.

In search of a sponsor, McCullen confided in first-year science teacher, Nicole Roberson.

“It’s a great opportunity for our kids to give back, and I think we can find a lot of ways to reach just the Oxford community.  I think it will become meaningful to everyone who takes part because they are doing something that helps other people,” said Roberson.

At their first meeting, with more than 100 perspective members in attendance, the club settled on their new name: “Beyond Our Walls”.  The name symbolizes the humble service the club will accomplish in and outside of OHS.

Sophomore BOW member, Kate Abraham said, “I really like doing community service and participating in Operation Christmas Child.  It makes me happy to give back to people in need.”

BOW has ambitious plans for this school year, starting with Operation Christmas Child first semester.  OCC is a nondenominational Christian organization that sends gift-filled shoeboxes to children in need as a powerful tool for evangelism and discipleship—transforming the lives of children and their families around the world through the Good News of Jesus Christ.

With such business first semester, BOW plans to interact with people in and around Lafayette county by sponsoring events such as community picnic lunches, job fairs, and field trips.

Beyond Our Walls meets every Thursday morning in S113 at 7:45, and new members are always welcome.