Insight on date Rape at Ole Miss

Rachel Spragins

Now that classes have begun and football season is in midst, the college social life in Oxford and at Ole Miss is at its peak for the school year.

As students go out to celebrate on the square and at parties, date rape is becoming more popular and frequent.  Date rape is a type of rape in which drugs are involved in the act.

“A lot of times we do not necessarily hear about it (rape) on patrol, because a lot of it does not get reported until two to three days, sometimes weeks, after it has happened.  A lot of girls wake up and they cannot remember anything.”  Oxford City Police officer, Mario Weekly said

A major contributor to date rape is the drugs that assist in sexual assault.  The common drugs that are abused include; flunitrazepam (roofies), gamma hydroxybutyric acid (liquid ecstasy), and ketamine (special k).  These drugs are all odorless and tasteless making it easier to use on someone.

“I honestly have never heard much about rape at Ole Miss,” sophmore at Ole Miss, Carley Murphy said.

“I am sure it happens, but I have just never heard of it happening,” Murphy said.

According to the Campus Sexual Assault  Committee study by the National Institute of Justice, sexual assaults were most likely to occur in September, October and November, on Friday or Saturday nights, and between the hours of midnight and six a.m.

“Often girls are embarrassed, they may have gotten caught up in a scene where they really should not have been,” Officer Harper Thomas ,also from OPD, explained, “a lot of females will just say that was a bad experience and try to put it away, which is really bad for them.”

One case reported to the Oxford Police and investigated in May, involved a female student being sexually assaulted by a male student at a fraternity house on Ole Miss.

In Mississippi the punishment for rape can include large fines and jail time depending on the age of the people involved.

“I think there should be greater punishments for date rape and more preventive measures, like portable date rape drug tests,” Murphy said.

For the students, the counseling center at Ole Miss offers sessions and groups centered around sexual assault and date rape.

“My advice to girls is to not go out alone, always go with a friend and use the buddy system,” Weekly said about safety precautions.

“The only thing you really can do is educate, letting people know that it (rape) is out there.”

• Insight on date Rape at Ole Miss

Oxford mourns the loss of teacher Sherry Buford

• Insight on date Rape at Ole Miss

Art students honored at Brooks Museum ceremony

• Insight on date Rape at Ole Miss

Indie pop band The Wombats lack progression in sound with new release, “Beautiful People Will Ruin Your Life”

• Insight on date Rape at Ole Miss

Eight artists to watch in 2018

• Insight on date Rape at Ole Miss

Rapper Rich Brian bound for success with new release, “Amen”

• Insight on date Rape at Ole Miss

Fortnite rises in popularity, students play game in new Esports club

• Insight on date Rape at Ole Miss

Lady Chargers soccer fall to Madison Central in opening round of playoffs

• Insight on date Rape at Ole Miss

The Season: Oxford Basketball – Episode One (2018)

• Insight on date Rape at Ole Miss

Teen pregnancy rate continues to decrease in Lafayette county

• Insight on date Rape at Ole Miss

More Than A Coach: The reality of living in the spotlight as the child of a coach

Insight on date Rape at Ole Miss