OIS Students looking for student tutors

OIS Students looking for student tutors

Oxford High students with early dismissal looking for a chance to do some volunteer work now have the option to tutor Oxford Intermediate School students from 2:40 p.m. to 4 p.m.

Tutors are needed on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays for math, English, reading, and science.

“There is no money to fund the tutors and the service is being provided on a volunteer basis only,” Intervention Coordinator Nikki Logan said. “However, we are reaching out to Oxford High School and other community entities to get volunteers to help our students be successful in the classroom.”

Students who do not have early dismissal may also be able to tutor from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. on various Saturdays. The Saturday dates are Nov. 14, Jan. 23, Feb. 20, April 16, and May 7.

Any student interested does not need to have past experience with tutoring, but they do need a way to keep in contact with the tutoring coordinator.

“There is no experience needed,” Intervention Coordinator Nikki Logan said. “Tutors should have an email address on file with the tutoring coordinator so the coordinator can communicate any changes or needs.”

Students who would like to volunteer in other ways also have many opportunities to do just that at OHS, especially through clubs and other extracurriculars.

“Oxford Key Club did the Buddy Walk and we made signs for all of the kids,” sophomore Abigail Rodriguez said. “We cheered them on as they were running, and they really enjoyed that. I think we should all be involved with our community and help out as much as we can.”

Some extracurriculars even offer incentives for students who do volunteer work, such as ROTC.

“For me, you can get promoted and get extra credit for ROTC,” freshman Anika Weaver said.

Even if extra credit is not offered, students can still benefit from the volunteer work that they do.

“Students at OHS can benefit from tutoring students at OIS by helping Oxford School District implement our mission statement of challenging every student to reach his or her potential order to develop highly educated, responsible college and career ready citizens who will take an active role in society,” Logan said.

“The high school students will prove they are becoming responsible and give back to their community through tutoring our youth and helping them reach their goals.”