Abraham’s future still in the air, even with Tulane hire

Senior quarterback Jack Abraham’s future is anything but set in stone. One thing that is certain, however, is that come early February, Abraham will have a big commitment to make regarding his college football career.

Abraham will spend his last day as an Oxford High School student on Monday, December 14, and then graduate following first-semester exams.

Abraham verbally committed to Tulane University earlier in the year, but they recently fired their head football coach, creating a difficult decision for him.

“I’m looking for somebody to run a spread offense,” Abraham said. “The offensive coordinator of Tulane is going to be fired, but the quarterbacks coach will remain there.”

Tulane recently hired a new head football coach, Willie Fritz of Georgia-Southern University, but it is unclear of the offense that he plans to run. February 4 is Abraham’s deadline to enroll.

His other option: taking the spring semester off from school entirely, and improving his mechanics and his arm on the football field.

“There is a good chance that I will take this next semester off,” Abraham said. “I can take the time to work out, get better, but more importantly, get healthy and get my shoulder feeling better, and even take classes at the community college here. I’ll weigh my options when the time comes.”

Abraham broke his collarbone on Oxford’s last drive in the MHSAA Class 5A state championship, and it sidelined him for the annual Mississippi-Alabama football game.

His collarbone remains a potent issue for his future, as his next month of recovery would have been a prime time to better his game for the future.

Even if Abraham does take the semester off from school, that does not mean his future is not with Tulane, nor does it restrict his list of schools to choose from come next fall.

Whatever his decision may be, the record-shattering quarterback will have no shortage of decisions regarding his potential future as a college athlete.