Column: President Trump will ruin America

Back to Article
Back to Article

Klaria Holmes, Staff Writer

For some, the world as they knew it ended on November 8. For others, the world of their dreams was just beginning.

Donald Trump has proven himself time and time again to be one of the most disrespectful, misogynistic, semi-racist, and closed-minded candidates that the US Presidential Election has ever seen.

From his lewd remarks that have been passed off as “just locker room” talk, to the remarks made about a veterans parents and disabled people, he’s made it blatantly obvious that he only wants to “make America great again” with those he sees fit.

As the President of the US, your job is to ensure the safety of those under you, always making sure that your country is in good hands.

Donald Trump has bankrupted not only one of his businesses, but four. If he can’t successfully run a business without messing up, is this really who we want as our next President?

Since November 8th, there have been several riots because of the election results. Most started out as peaceful marches, but as more people gathered, things started to get dangerous. These riots have ranged from burning American flags, defacing public property, looting, and physically hurting others.

The country is more divided than its ever been. People are being profiled for their sexual orientation, their religion, skin tone, amongst other things.

In Chicago, a woman wearing a hijab was approached by a man who yelled that he would “set her on fire and rape her” if she didn’t remove her hijab.

An African American veteran who was eating at Chili’s was approached by a manager who claimed that he “wasn’t a real soldier” because he was wearing his hat indoors. The manager then forced him to show his discharge papers, and military ID.

Even in our own town, we’re feeling the stings of hatred from Trump supporters. On Friday, November 11th, there were several reported cases of swastikas painted on the elevators.

As the days slowly drift on, there seems to be a new story of a hate crime. According to the Southern Poverty Law Center, there have been over 437 hate crimes filed since the election. On average, that’s 62 hate crimes a day.

America is supposed to be a country that spews love and acceptance, and since November 8th, we’ve seen nothing but hatred.

How are we supposed to make peace with other countries if our own country is at war?

Klaria Holmes, Opinions Editor

Klaria is a senior at OHS who's enjoying her third year on staff, and her second year as the opinions editor. In her free time, she enjoys reading, listening...

• Column: President Trump will ruin America

OHS Debate Team hosts National Qualifying tournament, Cizdziel advances to nationals

Alliance of American Football will be successful in opening year

New show ‘Shrill’ relatable, coming-of-age tale

Teacher Feature of the Month: Q&A with Keith Scruggs

Media handles tragedies unprofessionally, often glorifying attacker

OHS Unified Sports team vs. Oxford Police Department basketball game ends in tie

Mock trial team achieves goal, scores fourth place at state competition

O’Connor faces adversity, finds success in soccer

13 OHS seniors named National Merit Finalists

Nash selected as finalist for National Tennis Coach of the Year