Athletic Booster Club holds raffle for 2017 Jeep Wrangler

courtesy of Chris Rousseau

The winner of the Jeep will be announced Oct. 27. All proceeds of the raffle tickets will go to supporting OSD athletics.

Emmie Stevens, Staff Writer

This year, the Oxford Charger Athletic Booster Club, with the help of Allen Samuels Jeep of Oxford, is raffling off a 2017 Jeep Wrangler as a fundraiser.

“[This fundraiser] will support all athletic programs at Oxford Middle and Oxford High Schools,” said  Booster Club member Lisa Ivy.

This is the first time that the Booster Club has done a fundraiser like this one.

“I got the idea from a friend in Tupelo who was in charge of the football Booster Club,” Booster Club member Chris Rousseau said. “They raffled off a Jeep six years ago and raised a good bit of money.”

Raffle tickets cost $100 and a maximum of 500 will be sold. People can buy as many tickets as they want to help their chances. They can be bought from booster club members, at OHS home football games, and from the OSD Central Office.

“We have the Jeep advertised all over social media,” Rousseau said. “They can purchase tickets by contacting me directly, at all OHS home football games, or contacting any member of the Oxford Charger Booster Club. We are also trying to set-up at many other Athletic events. Please look at our Oxford Charger Booster Club Facebook page.”

Many high school students, and their parents, are interested in this fundraiser because the students are just starting to drive or are just interested in a new car.

“I think this is a great new fundraiser because everyone wants a Jeep,” said Monie Henderson, who bought a ticket for her son in high school. “I wanted to buy the ticket to support the Booster Club and Oxford High School athletics. We have so many great athletes and coaches that work so hard every day to represent our schools.”

The drawing will be during halftime of the Oxford versus Hernando football game on Senior Night, Oct. 27, 2017, and the winner will be responsible for Mississippi sales tax and county tag fees. The winner does not have to be present at the time of the drawing.

“This is a great way to raise money for  our athletes,” Rousseau said. “Where else can you get a chance at winning a brand new $30,000 Jeep for $100? We want all Oxford Charger Athletics programs to become teams where championships become tradition. Buy your ticket today.”