Increasing issue with damaged computers along with limited amount of loaner computers leaves some empty handed

The+library+ran+out+of+loaner+computers+for+students+because+too+many+people+had+technological+issues.+There+are+only+10+laptops+that+are+able+to+be+given+to+students.+

Grace Logan

The library ran out of loaner computers for students because too many people had technological issues. There are only 10 laptops that are able to be given to students.

Grace Logan, Staff Writer

This school-year, several OHS students have had to experience the pencil and paper method due to the ongoing issue with breaking computer screens.

Sophomore Alexis Barlow’s laptop was one example of this issue.

“I opened my computer, started typing and then all of the sudden it had lines going through it,” Barlow said.

According to librarian Amanda Osborne, this issue has turned into a bigger problem than previous years because of the large number of student computers having a cracked screen, which in some cases are signs of a defect in the manufacturing of the laptop.

“There are so many [broken computers], and some students have reported that they didn’t damage it. They didn’t drop it or shut anything in it,” Osborne said. “[The computers] are just so sensitive.”

Another factor in the increase of damaged computers could be the cases students are using this year, according to OSD computer technician Sedrick Robinson.

“I believe that we have had an increase in damaged screens this year because a large amount of students are not happy with the new cases that we are using,” Robinson said. “Some students choose to not use their case which makes it easier to damage their laptop, especially their screens.”

The school library has only 10 computers that they are able to loan to students if something were to happen to their own computer. Due to the increased number of damaged computer screens, more students have been requesting these these computers, and sometimes there are not enough for students to use.

“It’s frustrating for the student to come to the library for a loaner and we don’t have a loaner,” Osborne said. “Then I have to go find kids who’s computers are ready and have to go take their loaner and swap that out and it takes a lot of time.”

According to Osborne, if a student damages their computer, they have to submit a tech request, then wait until they can get a loaner. Once their computer is fixed, they have to pay a $100 fee that covers the warranty which can be an issue for some students.

“[Students] do get an email from tech notifying them that their computer is ready,” Osborne said. “The students are supposed to know that if it was broken that you have to pay the $100, but students don’t check their emails regularly so they do not know that their computer is ready.”

Students waiting for a loaner have to manage without a computer until one is available. While a lot of school-work given at OHS is on the issued laptops, without a computer students have to stick to doing their assignments on paper.

“[It] took about a week and a half for it to get fixed,” Barlow said. “Now, I have to pay a little each week.”

According to Osborne, it is a tiring process having to run the loaner computers around to students that can’t use their own, especially with the limited amount of computers that the library has to hand out.

“It’s kind of a big ugly circle that we are involved in,” Osborne said. “It takes a lot of time to find people and get the devices, and then, hand them out to someone.”