Oxford Fire Department talks to Personal Leadership classes about leadership qualities

Firemen+Jamie+Phillips+and+Keveon+Taylor+talk+to+the+ninth+grade+Personal+Leadership+course.+They+came+to+talk+about+leadership+qualities+as+9%2F11+approaches+this+year.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Firemen Jamie Phillips and Keveon Taylor talk to the ninth grade Personal Leadership course. They came to talk about leadership qualities as 9/11 approaches this year.

Ellis Farese

Ellis Farese

Ellis Farese

Ellis Farese, Staff Writer

Firemen from the Oxford Fire Department came to speak to the new ninth grade course, Personal Leadership, about leadership qualities in honor of 9/11 coming up on Tuesday.

“Personal leadership is a new program, and it is pretty much teaching the kids social skills, interaction skills, and basically life skills. It’s helpful for things like when they get to job interviews and just how to have a conversation with someone without a phone in their hand,” history teacher Kelsie Beebe said.

Freshman Catherine Bianco said she enjoyed listening to the speakers and likes that they focused on the quality of leadership.

“I thought they were really good and inspirational. It was nice to hear their advice,” Bianco said. “We need to learn about leadership because we need leaders in the world to make the world a better place.”

Beebe organized the speakers because it is important to have the students learn more and understand the significance of 9/11.

“The attacks on 9/11 reshaped the face of the nation and the course of our history. 9/11 doesn’t only affect our lives but also people in the future,” Beebe said. “I just think it’s super important, and the kids in the ninth grade leadership class weren’t even born when 9/11 happened, whereas I can remember exactly where I was when it happened. Almost 3,000 people lost their lives and it’s just one of those things that are super important.”

Bianco was appreciative that firemen came to speak about 9/11. She believes that this event was important in our nation’s history and that we need to continue passing down the story to new generations.

“I learned that a lot of people risked their lives for people they didn’t even know and, it’s important to understand because we weren’t alive when it happened,” said Bianco.

Firemen Jamie Phillips and Keveon Taylor came to speak to the students about the event.

“9/11 is one of those things where remembering that day isn’t really a choice its our solemn obligation, and what better thing to have than two people from the fire department to come speak on that and enlighten the kids on what it’s about,” Beebe said.

The Personal Leadership classes, taught by Beebe, Daniel Parrish and Chris Cutcliffe, plan to have more speakers in the future discussing different prominent topics in our society.

“This one is obviously for 9/11, so we have the fire department coming, but we’re really excited because we have Jay Hughes coming in the future,” Beebe said. “We’re going to do speakers, usually on Fridays, for the remainder of the course.”

Ellis Farese, Staff Writer

Ellis Farese is a sophomore, and it is her first year on the newspaper staff. She is a staff writer for the entertainment section. Ellis enjoys hanging...

• Oxford Fire Department talks to Personal Leadership classes about leadership qualities

New show ‘Shrill’ relatable, coming-of-age tale

Teacher Feature of the Month: Q&A with Keith Scruggs

Media handles tragedies unprofessionally, often glorifying attacker

OHS Unified Sports team vs. Oxford Police Department basketball game ends in tie

Mock trial team achieves goal, scores fourth place at state competition

O’Connor faces adversity, finds success in soccer

13 OHS seniors named National Merit Finalists

Nash selected as finalist for National Tennis Coach of the Year

Charger Crossword Puzzle Answers

Browns make right decision with Hunt, deserves second chance