ROTC participates in annual 9/11 memorial run

Junior Patricia Hughes poses with OHS ROTC members and OMS Principal Audra Rester and OHS Assistant Principal Nikki Logan. The OHS ROTC participated in the three mile run in honor of the fallen of the 9/11 attacks.

Grace Logan

Grace Logan

Grace Logan, Sports Editor

The OHS ROTC joined the Ole Miss ROTC programs in a three mile run to honor the fallen of the 9/11 attacks 17 years ago.

“That run was to pay respect to the American lives that were lost 17 years ago today,” Major Brent Hampton said. “We are going to hold that run every year whether it is a Sunday or a Tuesday. We want to set aside a special day to pay respects.”

The run was held Tuesday morning at six and ran a route that started from the Lyceum on campus and continued through the Square.

“It’s a chance to remember the thousands of people who died and the thousands of people who have gone to battle since then,” participant Lea Fyfe said. “So many people suffered through that, and the least I could do is suffer through a three mile run.”

According to Hampton, the run is held every year in memorial of the day and began “at least five years ago.”

“We kind of want to band together to say, ‘Hey,’ and also honor the fallen first responders that dealt with the issues that day because our first responders in this community, same thing, they deal with issues daily that we never see, so we are paying them respects as well,” Hampton said.

ROTC member and junior Jah’heim Shabazz has participated in this annual run two times previously. This year, however, was his first year to hold to Marine Corps flag during the run.

“First sergeant [David Leach] always tells me that I am the face of the company, and our company is 82 or 86 people, so me carrying the Marine Corps flag is just an honor,” Shabazz said.

Members of the community also ran the route along side the ROTC programs.

“It is great because it just shows that the community still remembers those who lost so much and really at that time it brought our country together and really in a way this is bringing our community together to remember the freedoms that we have and the great nation that we are blessed to live,” Fyfe said. “It’s nice to have everybody to come and support our military and our police officers and our firemen and all our first responders.”

To Shabazz, the run was a way to raise awareness to the attacks.

“Remembering all the fallen people that risked their lives and saved others, it is great to know that we can give back,” Shabazz said. “I thank everybody for coming out and enjoying the run and being with other human beings.”

• ROTC participates in annual 9/11 memorial run

Crosstown Classic Pep Rally

Game Preview: Oxford Chargers (2-1) at Pontotoc Warriors (4-0)

Hughes speaks to ninth grade classes about public speaking and leadership skills

Ligon raises $15,000 to donate to Memory Makers Respite Day Services

OSD holds the United Way Workplace Giving Campaign

Sexism is not the problem, Serena, you are

Oxford Fire Department talks to Personal Leadership classes about leadership qualities

Game Preview: Lafayette Commodores (3-0) at Oxford Chargers (1-1)

Blackkklansman focuses on race, sign of times

Spanish Teacher implements Spanish translations throughout school