College Football Preview 2023

As the College Football season kicks off, the quest for the championship promises to be more intense than ever. Fans are eagerly hoping that their long-standing favorites can meet their lofty expectations. Additionally, this season is poised to showcase unexpected underdog teams rising to the challenge.

Among the season’s favorites are the well-known teams, such as the Georgia Bulldogs, Alabama Crimson Tide, and LSU Tigers. Georgia, aiming for a three-peat, holds the second rank in recruiting, closely trailing the Crimson Tide. Despite losing their star quarterback, they still lead the favorites. However, the team’s ability to secure a third consecutive championship is in doubt due to significant departures.

Alabama, ranked second among favorites and first in recruiting, carries the disappointment of missing the playoffs last season. This fuels their determination, adopting a fierce mindset reminiscent of their mascot, the “Tide.” The selection of Jalen Milroe as the starting quarterback is seen as an advantage, given his athleticism and size. Alabama is anticipated to be a top-four team this year, almost guaranteeing a playoff spot.

Conversely, LSU’s high ranking as a top-five team is questioned. With doubts about their performance this year, expectations are modest, potentially leading to a seven-win season. Despite being sixth in recruiting and second in the transfer portal, the team’s outlook is uncertain under Coach Brian Kelly, who might struggle to adapt to SEC football. This season could place Kelly in a precarious position for the following year.

Turning to the underdogs, teams like Colorado and Tulane are worth noting. Colorado’s decision to bring in Coach Deion Sanders is applauded for injecting energy into the team and attracting talented players. However, their lack of cohesion due to numerous newcomers might hinder a playoff run. Led by figures like Shaudeur Sanders, Travis Hunter, and Leonard Payne Jr., they are expected to achieve an eight-win season, excluding any predicted bowl game success.

Tulane, another significant underdog, could potentially surprise by making the playoffs or at least securing a top-five position. Coach Willie Fritz has been instrumental in revitalizing the team, with a remarkable 12-2 record and a season-ending ranking of ninth. Despite doubts about their ability to match last year’s performance, Tulane is considered a playoff-caliber team.

The Heisman Trophy race promises excitement, featuring favorites like Caleb Williams, Travis Hunter, Bo Nix, and Quinn Ewers. While Caleb Williams holds the top spot, he likely won’t win the award two consecutive years in a row. Fan favorites this year include Travis Hunter and Bo Nix. Nix’s experience, combined with strong performance, could place him among the frontrunners. Additionally, Travis Hunter is driven by a particularly compelling narrative—rising from an HBCU, receiving guidance from Coach Deion Sanders, and showcasing dual skills as a defensive back and wide receiver. If Hunter excels on both sides of the ball, he will likely clinch the Heisman this year.