MLS nears beginning of postseason play

The MLS season is approximately one week away from the start of the playoffs. The top 18 teams in the league, nine from each division, will move on to the MLS Playoffs. Wednesday, Oct. 25, will be the first day of the playoffs, with the wild card matches determining who will play the one seed in their respective conferences.

The Eastern Conference consists of the top two teams in the league. FC Cincinnati has the most points (68) in the table and Orlando City SC is right behind with the second most points (60). The top seven spots in the Eastern Conference playoffs are already solidified, but there are two teams, CF Montréal and D.C United, that will have a play-in game to determine who will have the eighth and final seed in the Eastern Conference for the playoffs.

The Western Conference’s top two teams include St. Louis City SC (56). Their debut season in the MLS has been a success as they are the top seed in their conference. Los Angeles FC, who won it all in the MLS last year, is the second seed with 51 points in the table. Likewise in the Eastern Conference, there are two teams, FC Dallas and San Jose Earthquakes, that will face off for the final eighth-seed spot in the playoffs for the Western Conference to face St. Louis FC.

Jackson’s Prediction: LAFC 3, Atlanta United FC 2

Los Angeles FC will win the league this year. LAFC has been on fire this season with 51 points, the fourth highest in the MLS. There are many great MLS players on the team: top goal-scorer in the league, Dénis Bouanga, Carlos Vera was named the best Center-Attacking midfielder of the year, and Giorgio Chiellini is considered one of the best defenders in this generation. LAFC thrives in the counter-attack environment as they have the most key passes in the MLS (344). Their team history proves why I believe that they will win their sixth MLS Cup, which would be the most in the MLS. Atlanta United FC also seems like a great candidate to make the playoffs since they are currently averaging two goals a game. LAFC will have to play great defense to keep up with Atlanta’s stellar offense.

Rishi’s Prediction: Atlanta United 2, LAFC 1     

Atlanta United FC is a serious contender for the MLS playoffs. They brought in three new starters in the summer transfer window including midfielder Tristan Muyumba and two wingers, Saba Lobjanidze and Xande Silva. Atlanta also has the third-leading scorer in the MLS with striker Giorgos Giakoumakis (15) and MLS assist leader, midfielder Thiago Almada (17). Almada just recently won the World Cup with Argentina in December and is looking for a move to Europe once the MLS season is over. The biggest question for Atlanta is if the defense can be up to par with the offense as the other side of the field has produced the second-most goals in the MLS this season (64). LAFC seems also like a great contender to make the playoffs since they have the fifth-best goal differential in MLS with 15 and are sixth in the league in goals conceded with 38.