OHS Fall Sports Recap

Football

Read story here!

Golf

This year on Nov. 2 the OHS boys golf team finished their season at the state championship meet. The team finished the meet in 11th place in the 7A region.

With only one returning starter from last season, the boys’ team had to adjust to succeed with their new roster. Also this season, new coach Ryane Bankston was hired to coach the boys’ and the girls’ teams.

On Oct. 24 the OHS girls golf team finished their season at the state championship meet. This season, the team qualified for the state meet despite not qualifying last season. The girls team also finished in 11th place in the 7A region this season.

After returning all starters from last season, the team was able to improve during the off season and end their season strong.

Read the full story here!

Volleyball

This season was a record breaking season for many members of the OHS Volleyball team. Senior Michael Ann East reached 1,000 kills, junior Claire Wicker reached 1,000 assists, senior Madi Jones reached 1,500 digs. Additionally, Head Coach Ashley Martin reached 100 career wins.

The Lady Chargers finished the season 21-17 with a loss in the first round of the playoff to the Germantown Mavericks. This season, the Chargers were invited to compete in the Nike Tournament of Champions in Phoenix, Arizona. In the tournament, the Chargers won  2-1 in their game against Shorecrest and 2-1 in their game against Rancho Buena Vista.

With almost the entire team returning next season, the Lady Charger Volleyball Team is seeking another successful season next year.

Cross Country

The 2023 Oxford High School boys’ and girls’ cross country team fell just short of state placing sixth out of 17 for boys’ and placing 12th out of 17 for girls’ in the race. The boys’ cross country team was led by star runner, junior Bailey Kosco. Kosco’s best time of the season was 15:28.06 in the Jesse Owens classic.

The girls’ cross country team was led by sophomore Maggie Irwin with her best time of the season being 20:13.37 in the Tupelo invitational. To start off the season, the Chargers raced at the City Auto Memphis Twilight XC Classic. In the race, the boys placed 33rd and the girls placed 30th.

Although the boys and girls started off the season slow, they quickly rebounded as the boys placed second and the girls placed third in the Mooreville XC Invitational. The Chargers continued to strive as both the boys and girls both placed top five in the Saltillo Cross Country Invitational. Still seeking that first win, the Chargers continued to strive getting top five finishes in multiple races.

Finally, the Chargers got their first win after placing first in both boys and girls in the Pontotoc XC Invitational. The boys went to back to back meets also winning the Senatobia XC Invitational. However the girls team didn’t win but still managed to make a top three finish placing third.

Swim

Read story here!