Lafayette County Distinguished Young Women

Juniors Cate Callicutt, Sarah Ross Latimer, Evelyne Denham, Ava Randle, Kate Riddle, and Mary Cile Meagher pose for a picture at the Lafayette County Distinguished Young Women competition.

Distinguished Young Women  is the largest national scholarship program for young women and was founded in 1958. Throughout the  years they have given over 118 million dollars in scholarship money to thousands of young women. Recently, Lafayette County held the county wide Distinguished Young Women competition at the Ford Center on the campus of The University of Mississippi.  

“Distinguished Young Women is a scholarship program for 11th grade girls. There are local, state and national level competitions,” Ava Randle, junior at Oxford High School and Lafayette County’s Distinguished Young Woman, said. “25 percent of  the competition is based on your  grades. You also have to do an interview, a talent, a fitness routine, and  you have to answer a question on  stage. So you have to be pretty well  rounded to compete.” 

Besides the hours of preparation each girl that is competing must  choose a little sister. A little sister  must be a tenth grade girl and acts as  a personal cheerleader for the competitors. 

“I was a little sister for Mary Cile Meagher and it was so much fun getting to support her throughout the  competition,” Lotte Luber, sophomore at Oxford High School, said. “It  also gave me a sneak peak of what being a part of it was like before deciding if I wanted to compete next year.” 

The first step to becoming a part  of Distinguished Young Women is  simply applying for it. After that is  when you move on to the competition process. 

“I first found out about it two  years ago from a past winner and I  knew that I wanted to be a part of it,”  Randle said. “I was also a little sister  last year and that got me even more  excited to be able to compete my junior year. Once I became a junior I  just filled out an application on their  website, that part wasn’t hard at all.” 

Once you are accepted by the Distinguished Young Women organization,  you start preparing to compete in a  local competition. Lafayette County’s  local competition included girls from  every school in Lafayette county.  

“The directors here are really  great,” Randle said. “They helped us  do interviews and fitness practices, so  that we would feel prepared. I also  had to practice my talent a lot, I play  the violin, so I had to spend some  time working on that.” 

Distinguished Young Women’s  main idea is to be your best self. DYW  believes that includes being ambitious, healthy, responsible, involved,  and being studious. These things are proven through each part of the competition as well as the competitors’  grades. 

“We did our interview, which was  four judges and I in a room,” Randle  said. “Then we practiced our fitness  routine and our opening number  in the Ford Center. We did all of the  events. First we did self expression,  then talent, fitness, and then they announced the winner.” 

Randle was named Lafayette  County’s Distinguished Young Woman, besides gaining new experience  she also won scholarship money to go  towards her future education. 

“The benefit to winning is that  you get a lot of scholarship money, I  think I got about $1,500 in scholarship money which is super helpful for  my future,” Randle said. 

Overall, Distinguished Young  Women is a program that hopes to  better every participant for their future. Whether that’s through winning  money to pay for college or learning life skills that will help them  throughout the rest of their lives.  This program has seemed to make a  big impact on the young women of  Lafayette County. 

“A lot of people told me that you  have nothing to lose and everything  to gain by participating and I think  that’s definitely true,” Randle said. “I  learned a lot from interview practice  like how to carry on a conversation  and I think that will be helpful in the  future for job interviews and rush. It  also helped me to form friendships  with girls I might not have otherwise.”