Teacher Feature of the Month: Q&A with Kevin Jones

Courtesy of Kevin Jones

Art teacher Kevin Jones stands and smiles with his family in a selfie. Jones moved to Oxford this year in order to become the new art teacher.

Ada Grace Perry, Staff Writer

The Charger staff sat down with new Art Teacher Kevin Jones to learn more about his life and his transition to Oxford.

Q: Where are you originally from?

A: I’m originally from Hernando.

Q: Did you just move to Oxford? If not, how long have you lived here?

A: I did. I just moved here because of this job.

Q: What are some of your hobbies or some things you like to do in your free time?

A: Well, football is my passion so that’s mostly all I do: watching football film during football season, playing Madden on Playstation 4 and fishing when I get the opportunity to.

Q: What made you want to start teaching art?

A: I was really good with art growing up, I took four years of gifted art in high school, so I decided to let art be my major in college. I was in graphic design before I changed it to education, so having enough credits because of my art background I was able to teach it.

Q: Tell me a little bit about your family?

A: I have a wife and two kids. My daughter is a freshman at Sanford in Birmingham, and my son is in fourth grade at Della Davidson.

Q: What is your favorite movie?

A: There’s a lot of them, but right now my favorite movie would be “Avengers Endgame.”

Q: What are some of your favorite things to do in Oxford?

A: I haven’t had an opportunity to really enjoy the Oxford life, even though I went to Ole Miss I was working so I would go to school, leave, go back home in Hernando, and then go to work, and since I’ve been here, I have been so busy with football.

Q: What is one fun fact about yourself that most people don’t know?

A: I used to sing in the boys choir when I was younger.

Q: Do you follow any sports teams? If so, what are they?

A: College football. I follow Alabama; Saban, I love him as a coach, so I follow where he goes and NFL: the Broncos.