REVIEW: Goodman delivers in ’10 Cloverfield Lane’

Edward Morgan, Staff Writer

“10 Cloverfield Lane” is a new film starring Mary Elizabeth Winstead, John Gallagher Jr., and John Goodman. Although it is the sequel to the new original, Cloverfield, the film is not the same type of movie. Despite the advertising, this film is less a straight horror film and more of a horrifying tension-filled suspense.

The film’s story is about a woman named Michelle who gets into a car crash and wakes up in an empty room chained up.  She is told that there has been an apocalypse by a strange and intimidating man, and she cannot leave their bunker underground. The setup means that there are only about three rooms and three characters in the entire film. Thanks to the close quarters with each of the characters, the film has a great tension that builds throughout the film.

The audience isn’t sure whether the true villain is outside the shelter or inside.  The film keeps the audience on the edge of their seats and doesn’t disappoint. The horror of the film comes from the unnerving environment that the main character and audience are set in.

“I liked that the film kept the audience on their feet.  It kept surprising me,” Oxford High sophomore Olivia Wymore said.

However, the actors need to carry the story as well, and these are great performances. Winstead does great as the main character, and Gallagher Jr. sells it as Emmet and has some great moments. Nonetheless, the standout performance is certainly John Goodman.  His character, Howard, is among the most unnerving I have seen in a film.  He steals every scene he is in, and his performance alone makes the film worth seeing.  It is among Goodman’s best performances which is saying a lot for a man with such a great career.

“I never knew John Goodman could be such a creep, but I want to see more of it,” Oxford High senior Colby Hale said.

My biggest gripe with the film, though, is the ending.  I won’t spoil the end, but it left me leaving with a bad taste in my mouth.

“The ending dd not live up to the rest of the movie.  I wish they had gone with something different,” Oxford High sophomore Annie Forgette said.

Other than this, I don’t have many complaints about the movie.  Before the very end, everything about it just works.  I would suggest that you see this before it leaves theaters.