Gucci Mane’s “Mr. Davis” is witty, impressive but tedious

Charlie Zediker, Staff Writer

Gucci Mane’s newest album, “Mr. Davis,” was released on Oct. 13. Although the rapper has perfected the trap style of hip-hop, Mane’s new album lacks lyricism and artistic creativity, but he makes up for it somewhat with classic hooks and charisma.

Gucci Mane, real name Radric Davis, began his career almost 20 years ago in high school, during which he began selling drugs. His unlawful activity wasn’t over, however. In 2013, Davis was prosecuted for possession of a firearm by a convicted felon. Since his release from jail in 2014, Davis has released two albums, his most recent being “Mr. Davis.”

The meaning behind the title of the album “Mr. Davis” is a nod to his given name, but it could also be a glimpse into Davis’s career; he might be saying he has matured since his jail time and wants to take his life and rap more seriously.

The album includes features from A$AP Rocky, Nicki Minaj, Schoolboy Q, Big Sean, Ty Dolla Sign, The Weeknd and many others, along with help from famous producers Zaytoven, Metro Boomin, and TM88. Davis has released the perfect mixture of features and solo songs, adding variation and flavor to the album instead of a feeling of muddiness and laziness like many other rappers similar to him.

The most prominent tracks on the album are “I Get the Bag,” “Members Only,” “Curve” and “Make Love,” as they differ from the classic trap style that Davis is famous for. “Curve” features The Weeknd, adding his signature voice to a wonderfully produced track. Nicki Minaj is heard on “Make Love,” which provides a crisp voice with a new style of rap different from his typical trap style. “I Get the Bag,” featuring popular rap group Migos, provides probably the best hook on the album, “You get the bag and fumble it / I get the bag and flip it and tumble it.” “I Get the Bag” is currently charted at No. 7 on the Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop songs and No. 24 on the Billboard Hot 200, and is steadily on the rise.

Exclusively featuring Davis, “Members Only.” is probably the best track on the album, utilizing witty and wise lyrics. “I John wall at you clique,” Davis raps. He uses a play on words, giving listeners a very amusing track, by mentioning basketball player John Wall and saying he will ‘shoot’ at your gang. As expected by Davis, this song has the perfect blend of the repeated hook mixed with the expressive lyricism of the verses.

Although there are several impressive tracks on the album, the album still doesn’t contain enough variation. Of course, this is somewhat expected with the trap style Davis delivers, but he is consistently focused on hooks and charisma in order to include variation in the project. It would have been nice to hear something new from Gucci Mane. Nonetheless, he has perfected his craft of trap with “Mr. Davis.”