CW’s new show, “Dynasty,” successfully modernizes original soap opera

Karina Patel, Staff Writer

The CW is known for its popular shows that exhibit family and teenage drama, and the new “Dynasty” reboot does not break this trend. The first episode premiered on Oct. 11.

“Dynasty” is a modernized remake of the original ABC 1980s primetime soap opera following the lives of two wealthy families, the Carringtons and the Colbys, as they battle through their longstanding feud for control of their fortune and their children.

This story is told through the views of two strong women, who both believe they are in control, Fallon Carrington (Elizabeth Gillies) and Cristal Flores (Nathalie Kelley).

Fallon is the daughter of oil tycoon Blake Carrington (Grant Show), who believes she is being called home from Denver to become COO of her father’s global energy empire. When she returns, she finds that her father wants her and her brother, Steven (James Mackay), to meet Flores, his new fiancée. Fallon grows to hate Flores after her father gives his new fiancée the COO position instead of her.

The show has potential with it’s incredible emotional acting while it continues to modernize the original soap opera. The updated show addresses modern issues from today’s society while keeping the original plot line of the story.

Gillies first caught the attention of viewers when she acted on the Nickelodeon show “Victorious.” Since then, she has starred in many small-screen shows, and her acting has only matured and bettered through the years.

The audience can see the fiery passion in Gillies’s eyes as she presents the hatred that Fallon has for Cristal in the first episode. She shows the manipulative, spoiled side of Fallon while also showing how her character just wants to carry on her family’s dynasty, but her father keeps dismissing her.

Nathalie Kelley has starred in a few popular movies and shows such as her debut role as Neela Turner in the popular movie franchise “Fast and Furious.” She also starred in the last season of another hit CW show, “The Vampire Diaries,” where she played the main villain in season eight.

In the show, Cristal is the villain throughout Fallon’s side of the story, but when the story is told from Cristal’s perspective, the story completely changes. The audience gets to see that there are always two sides to everything. While Cristal still seems to have many secrets that she is unwilling to reveal, it is difficult to tell if she is the true villain of the show.

Producers Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage have worked on many other CW shows, such as “The O.C.” and “Gossip Girl,” and they have discussed the show with the original producers Esther and Richard Shapiro. While the show isn’t going to stray from the storyline, Schwartz and Savage want the show to address modern issues such as politics, culture, and climate change as well.

The acting and introduction of modern issues will draw many people into watching the show. Also, some fans of the original show may want to to see how the show progresses differently in today’s world.

• CW’s new show, “Dynasty,” successfully modernizes original soap opera

Blackkklansman focuses on race, sign of times

Trippie Redd impresses with diverse debut album “Life’s a Trip”

Mississippi-born rap duo Rae Sremmurd releases standout triple-disk album “Sremmlife 3”

Rapper J. Cole tackles controversial subjects, impresses with surprise album “KOD”

2018 Spring Movies

Indie pop band The Wombats lack progression in sound with new release, “Beautiful People Will Ruin Your Life”

Eight artists to watch in 2018

Rapper Rich Brian bound for success with new release, “Amen”

Rap group Brockhampton’s “SATURATION III” is progressive, impressive

2018 is promising year for Peckham artist Cosmo Pyke