New show ‘Shrill’ relatable, coming-of-age tale

Back to Article
Back to Article

Courtesy of Hulu

Courtesy of Hulu

Courtesy of Hulu

Klaria Holmes, Opinions Editor

Hulu’s newest Hulu Original show, “Shrill,” is quite possibly what mainstream America has been needing.

The show, named after the book it’s adapted from, is the story of Annie, a full-figured journalist who’s trying her hardest to balance her life and self-concept in a world full of people who judge her based on her weight and other abilities.

The book, “Shrill: Notes from a Loud Woman” by Lindy West, is a memoir, describing her journey through life as she struggled to “hide her big body and even bigger opinions,” which is extremely relatable to most Millennial and Generation Z women today.

Annie, portrayed by “Saturday Night Live’s” Aidy Bryant, is a charismatic, funny character living in world that most of us can or could relate to at some point in our lives, and for most of us who’ve struggled with their self-concept and self-acceptance, she’s a breathe of fresh air.

Recently, we’ve seen a major uprise in women standing up for what they believe in and challenging a system that they’ve realized isn’t benefitting them—something that Annie also seems to be struggling with.

Along with an amazing soundtrack that spread across a wide range of genres, the show tackles several tropes Americans are dealing with today as far as relationships, sexuality and self-acceptance go. While the show is a comedy, it definitely tackles current issues, which keeps the show timely and current while also keeping the lighthearted feel of a coming-of-age show.

This show is one of few of its type, which makes it even more special. There’s a cohort of shows that fit into that coming-of-age genre, but very few feature a plus-sized character, not to mention a plus-sized main character and even more special, a plus-sized female main character who’s outspoken and stands her ground—or at least she’s learning to.

The show also breaks many more boundaries that other coming–of–age stories tend to have trouble with, such as inconsistent story lines and side characters that are strictly two-dimensional.

Although this is the first season, the show does a good job of making sure the supporting characters of the show are just as integral as Annie is, somewhat giving them a backstory and life outside of being Annie’s friends, family or significant others.

Overall, the show is a good watch for those who enjoy this blooming genre of coming-of-age films and tv shows, specifically those who enjoy shows with a strong, outspoken, female lead.

Klaria Holmes, Opinions Editor

Klaria is a senior at OHS who's enjoying her third year on staff, and her second year as the opinions editor. In her free time, she enjoys reading, listening...

• New show ‘Shrill’ relatable, coming-of-age tale

Charger Crossword Puzzle Answers

‘Glass’ combines well-written story, cast

‘You’ captures attention as addictive social media horror story

XXXTENTACION’s first posthumous album ‘Skins’ is a mysterious roller coaster experience

Tory Lanez exceeds wildest expectations with fantastic new album ‘Love Me Now’

Blackkklansman focuses on race, sign of times

Trippie Redd impresses with diverse debut album “Life’s a Trip”

Mississippi-born rap duo Rae Sremmurd releases standout triple-disk album “Sremmlife 3”

Rapper J. Cole tackles controversial subjects, impresses with surprise album “KOD”

2018 Spring Movies